lost a solid roller lifter.

dbreese

Took the ole' girl out for a drive and to top of the gas tank. Stopped for coffee and then took the long way home. All was normal. Oil psi, engine temp all good. Long way home about 10 miles.

Went to pull into the drive and that is when it happened. The dreaded death squeal! i know this sound as I have heard other engines do the same thing. I immediately shut the engine off. 

Lash was checked 2 months ago and all was good. Lifters were pulled 6 months ago and looked new. Rolled smooth.

Gonna pull the engine and get it torn down and have my builder assess the damage.

Not overly upset since the engine has been in the car since 09'.  It has provided me with a lot of fun over the years and other than oil/filter changes and checking the lash has been low maintenance. Not to shabby for a little edgy s/b.

David

I've lost 2 so far.  Look into the Isky Red Zone Ez Roll Lifters, they are bushed instead of needle bearings if you're staying with a Roller.  Several other manufactures offer the bushed Roller Lifters also.

I went by and spoke with the builder and based on what I told him he thinks the damage may have been minimized but won't know till a teardown is done. I think the plan is to machine the lifter bores to accept .904 bodied lifters (currently has Morel Ultra pro .842 body lifters ), replace springs and if the cam is not bad send it back to Cammotion for a reground. 

Just will have to wait and see. 

David

that's what took out my 468, it had Morel's in it too

Looking back I should have went with .904 body lifter. There is always trade-offs for street/strip engines. The engine did have good oil pressure when I shut it off @ 40 psi hot 1500 rpm idle. 

David

• 3 weeks later...

Dave, hate to see this happen to you. I lost one also a couple of years ago. Davy set me up with the Morel pressure lubed solid bushing roller, they seem to be good so far

Hey Mike,

Good to hear from you! Not to upset. Been busy with the new part time business and I haven't' had a chance to pull the v/c's or the intake. 

Hope you are having a great race season.

David