454 In 70 monte from 74 P/U truck

mongosmash

hello everyone, I have a couple questions on my Monte first off this was my high school car back In the 80's and I tracked It down after selling her off to go In the Marine Corps.anyways It had a 350 In It and I purchase a 1974 chev P/U camper special with the BB 454 Im using the engine and trans for the upgrade.The motor builder Is just about done with his part and my question Is can I or do I use the motor mounts from the truck In the monte or do I need to change out the braket on the motor and the car side for the Monte version? Sure wish this site was around when I was young! lots of great info on here!

thanks

Jeff

Hey Jeff, welcome to the site....!!! 

The truck motor mounts on the Block wont work, but the 350 Frame mounts already in the Monte will work with Engine mounts or motor mounts that you buy from Napa or Jegs or Pep Boys or ? for a 1970 Chevelle or Monte or El camino 454. they are all the same, just bolt to the block and drop her in...

Darren

Hello Jeff, welcome the the FGMCC Forum. Great story on finding your original Monte. I have attached a post telling you what will need to be done to make the 454 work in the Monte vs the 350. We are looking forward to some pictures and hope you will consider becoming a dues paying member of the club. Lots of great people and knowledge here.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4061-engine-swap-post/

got It! thanks again guys and yes I will get some pics of this thing when Its finally back on the road. Black07ss so another question Is the Intermediate steering shaft It didnt say anything about that In the engine swap will I need the BB one If running headers then? So I read about the TH400 vs the TH350 I have to have the drive shaft shortened or? I noticed that the yoke or the splines on the driveline shaft are larger than the 350 shaft so would I rob that parts from the 74 truck drive shaft and have It shortened? can I buy a stock drive shaft that Is the right length and right spline from a different car? sorry guys............you guys are all going to hate me when this thing Is done!hahah Now If any of you have a RZR and have questions Im your man!lol

you can use the same steering shaft, as for the driveshaft, I would have a proper one made

as for headers...the Hooker part number that fits Montes is 2455, but I would advise against Hookers, I just installed a set of their stainless steel 2455's and buy they needed some tweeking, and if you do go with the Hookers, the brake proportioning valve will have to be moved

Sam thats awsome info thanks! so any ideas on headers then? one better than the other? 2" would you recommend? My car seems to sit pretty level how do I get the [censored] end of my car to sit like yours heavier springs I am assuming was wanting to go to a coil over shock and get rid of the springs what do you think?