350 Transmission Lines Removal

dejh22

I 'm going to replace the trans lines on my son's 72 Monte. In my younger years I was able to get them loose at the transmission. I tried to remove them today. With no luck. The car does have headers and the header is in the way some what. Before I start making more work for myself, does anyone have any advice, tricks on how to get them loose? Thanks!

If you are going to replace them...cut them off and use a 6 point socket on the line nut

Not sure if there is enough room to cut them. I'm going to try a Flare Nut Crowfoot Line Wrench  3/8"drive.

After thinking about it, I think if I were to remove the header I might be able to use a dremel with a cutting disc. I already ordered a set of crowfoot line wrenches so I will try that first when they get here. I will post the results.

Ditto on that Sam!! cut'em, your  replacing them right? Then I'd use a transmission line wrench on the new ones. Any parts store or Sears would have the wrench. You only strip them once! InLineTube.com has some nice Stainless Steel ones to replace them with. I think I paid $45.00 for mine.

• Like 1

After thinking about it, I think if I were to remove the header I might be able to use a dremel with a cutting disc. I already ordered a set of crowfoot line wrenches so I will try that first when they get here. I will post the results.

The wrenches came to day. The wench worked like a charm! I used a long 3/8 extension with a swivel.  So those of you that have a tight spot to work in (headers in the way) and want to keep your lines this will work. The easiest thing to do would be to cut them if you are replacing them.

Dale

The wrenches came to day. The wench worked like a charm! I used a long 3/8 extension with a swivel.  So those of you that have a tight spot to work in (headers in the way) and want to keep your lines this will work. The easiest thing to do would be to cut them if you are replacing them.

Dale

OK now for the rest of the story. I did use the crowfoot line wrench on the bottom line. Then came in and gave you my update. Had an appointment to go to, so when I got back went back out to take off the top line. Well  the crowfoot wrench didn't work on that one!. So I TOOK A PAIR OF SIDE CUTTERS AND CUT THE LINE! Deep well socket on a swivel and just like that it was off. The next time I come here and ask for advice, I will wait to see if anyone has any ideas. Like I should of done this time! Thank you Sam!