RESTORERS - Need Help!!(pullhair, pull hair)

This dash repaint is driving me nuts! I have the glove box door off and trying to paint. It keeps getting a million fisheyes in it! I've painted the ashtray and small duct piece on the passenger side and they came out great. So far I've used a solvent, scrubbed with steelwool and solvent, and tried windex on it with to no avail! I need some advice on what I need to do to this. Driving me absolutley nuts! i think they went over this with silicon dressing of some sort. It must have soaked into the plastic or somethin, just a guess at this point.

Somebody say Whiskey? The solvent is by 3-m. It's a glue disolving solvent. Pretty strong. I'm out of mineral spirits but I'll try that tomorrow. The whiskey, well I might get buzzin from the fumes and chug down a gulp of windex instead of the whiskey. Are you serious about whiskey? tongue.gif

Wax and Grease Remover from a Auto Paint Supply shop should help get that silicone off the dash...

Just do not let it stay too long or your dash will be gone, too...

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

http://go.to/Monte

Member NMCOA, FGMCC

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

If you are going to use the whiskey I would use some of the best like Crown Royal. You say you want a nice smooth surface. Crown Royal goes down my surfaces as smooth as any and you don't need any additives like ginger ale or even ice. By the way I think the whiskey is for drinking. If you have enough you won't see the fish eyes...

Sorry about not being serious about this..

It sounds like you have gotten some good suggestions. About the only thing I could suggest is taking it to a body shop where you know some of the people and ask for some free advice on what may be causing it. Why spend alot of time and money for fish eyes. See the post about my trim between the rear bumper and trunk for my wasted time and money on this trim part and you will know what I am talking about.

Rob

Hey guys thanks for all the help. Now I have some direction to go. Rob, I like alittle humor along with the answer, Thats the way I am. It helps ease the pain(kinda like the whiskey) Thanks for the advice.

Jon.

I can tell already, that if I make it to the Super Chevy Show meet, We get together, were in trouble! I'm a beer man myself, not so much on the hard stuff. tongue.gif

clock, drink after the job is done and before the job. it makes the job interesting and something to look forward to. after using a solvent to clean the dash you must use a special primer for plastic! then light sand then apply color light!!! if you get fish eyes dont worry it takes tons of coats of paint. apply light amounts in time intervals let dry tacky then paint again then let it get tacky and keep going on untill you get the best finish.

I've found out that light coats do work best, but dinkin before is a bad thing for me. I've done this numerous time while pulling motors, you chugg all that beer and then when it's time to drop in the new one, your crankin it over and wondering why you have an oil gusher! Oh well just grab the nearest rigg and get rich. Actually I did this before, left the oil sending unit out, oh what a mess. Pass me another beer!