Corrsion Protection, electronic.

Have any of you guys or gals heard of Counter Act corrosion protection system? I just turned the tv on and the Two Guys Garage was installing this system. according to them and the manufacturer, it's better than the chemical method. They said it's so affective that boat trailer manufaturers are installing it standard on thier trailers for rust protection. Pretty impressive if you ask me. It looks real simple to install too. Just two stick type pads, one in front and the other in the back somewhere and it protects the whole car. The pads are hooked into a supply amp or some device you just run your positive feed to and hook your ground up and it's done! They say it's better than chemical because thers no drilling and it protects the intire car, everything thats metal, the entire body I guess. It sends high votage through the body, thats how it works I guess. I think I'll check out the pricing. Sounds like a neat system. I just wanted to share the info if anyones interested in protecting thier cars. Thay sayed it won't void factory warrenties either.

Jon.

You have refreshed my memory. I recently read something about this and it made sense.

I don't remember where I read it. Sounds interesting. Post this when you get more info.

Oil Rig

-------

Dunno, from my brief read though of the web site Pete cited, it looks like they are using lost of Techno-babel in the web site, w/o citations to a patent number or peer-review journals to back up their claims. Lots of big fancy sounding words, but very little actual science or data behind the tech claims. My formal education and 10 years research/development employment was in the sciences, so I'm pretty good at spotting legit claims and 'snake-oil salesmen' (B.S Microbiology/Minor Chemistry, Metropolitain State College, Denver Co. 1989. Somatogen Inc/Baxter Hemoglobin Theraputics. Boulder Co. 1990 - 2000). I sent email off to these guys asking for patent # and citaitons in peer-review journals as corabative evidence that this works as claims. I'll let ya guys know if/when I hear back from them, and my opinion of the soundness of their science & technology. Would be nice it if pans out as applicable to the real world.

I had a materials science intro class a couple semesters ago, and one of the days that we were spending on corrosion, the professor debunked those things. Now I just wish I could remember why it was that he said they don't work....

I looked at CounterAct's website, and they warn in huge letters not to buy their competitors' stuff because it doesn't work. There could be three explanations for this, and as Woody Hayes used to say, two of them are bad:

1. They want you to give your money to them, not their competitors.

2. They want you to believe that their stuff works, even if you've heard that in general stuff like it doesn't.

3. They are legit.

On the other hand I found several articles from Australian sources singing the praises of this thing, so I'm not going to tell you it definitely doesn't work...but I am skeptical, and I don't think I'd buy one.

I have investigated numerous claims of devices that prevent rust from forming in my 30 years as a design mechanical engineer. The only effective systems have sacrifical anode in their electrolysis systems. All corosion is an electrochemical process where the more active on the electrochemical scale are attacked by the corosive element leaving the less active. That is why a painted surface is more stable than a non-coated surface. When zink is used, galvanizing, it protects the steel underneath by the fact that it is less active than the steel. By simply applying a current to a product, your steel body, you cannot make it less active on the electrochemical scale. I hope this helps.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by 40model (edited 12-20-2002).]

One other thing. Let's say you spend the money and say it doesn't work. I believe they say it reduces rust corrosion by 80% over a 30 year period. Compared to what? Leaving your car next to your beach house? You'll have to wait 30 years to prove that! Don't buy!

Allen Tuthill

Electrical Engineer

Hmmmmm, a somewhat deverse response. Thats good. It sounds like theres alot of you that know what your talking about. Thinking about it now, the show"Two Guys Garage", needs to pay bills also. I'm sure it's all buisness. Thanks for opening my eyes. I did'nt really look at it that way at first. I was suspect of the "snake oil salesman" deal but thought hey if thier endorsing this product it must be reliable. It seemed like a neat deal.

On a lighter note. I e-mailed them directly for a price for a system. They requested my make and model. Also they told me that theres a self install kit and a kit they install. The self install kit has no warrenty, and the kit they install has a 10 year warrenty. Kind of throws up red flags.....all over. I sent them my make and model just to see what they are charging for this system just for giggles.

Jon.

On a lighter note. I e-mailed them directly for a price for a system. They requested my make and model. Also they told me that theres a self install kit and a kit they install. The self install kit has no warrenty, and the kit they install has a 10 year warrenty. Kind of throws up red flags.....all over. I sent them my make and model just to see what they are charging for this system just for giggles.

This reminds me of the life time rust proofing claims of the 70's and early 80's. Ziebart, Duracoat, The Shield, etc. They had to install it and you had to bring it in for a yearly check up. If you didn't, you voided the warrenty. When it rusted out in 3-4 years up here in the rust belt, all they did was give you your money back. Lots of upset people. I have had many winter beaters that were rusted out right up to the plastic plugs used to fill the holes made to "rust proof" the car. If this system is that simple and effective, one of the auto makers would buy them out and use the system. It would be cheaper and easier than the chemical dips and coatings they're using now.

------------------

Steve

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by montefrazer:

This reminds me of the life time rust proofing claims of the 70's and early 80's. Ziebart, Duracoat, The Shield, etc. They had to install it and you had to bring it in for a yearly check up. If you didn't, you voided the warrenty. When it rusted out in 3-4 years up here in the rust belt, all they did was give you your money back. Lots of upset people. I have had many winter beaters that were rusted out right up to the plastic plugs used to fill the holes made to "rust proof" the car. If this system is that simple and effective, one of the auto makers would buy them out and use the system. It would be cheaper and easier than the chemical dips and coatings they're using now.

</font>

Hey thats a good point.

Jon.