two part wiper arm question

my left wiper arm rubs my hood it appears that the shaft that comes out of the cowl is bent a little is that shaft removable or do i have to replace the whole wiper transmission meaning both shafts arms etc ,how involved is that .also looking to buy a good left wiper arm. thanks gene

Gene,

My wiper arm also rubs my hood in the same place and nothing I have done has corrected this. I have even shimmed the unit which comes up through the mount. I shimmed it downward from the underside to drop it lower and the arm still rubs under the hood.

I have also changed my entire transmission assy for the wipers because the pin for the articulating arm for the drivers side broke off and if I am not mistaken you must replace the entire assembly.

I think at one point my windshield was replaced and I am thinking that when they installed the new windshield they may have put too much calking on it and it may stick out a little farther than it should and this may be why the wiper arm is rubbing the hood but I don't know for sure.

I asked this question about the arm rubbing the hood and nobody could come up with an explination. All the hood and fender alignments look good so the hood doesn't appear to be back too far.

Rob

------------------

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

my windshield was replaced about 2 years ago,my wiper blade is not rubbing but the arm is right were the hinged part is my the spring. i looked again and it appeared that the knurled nut looked cocked on the shaft i ordered a nut removal tool from paddock today hoping that reseat that nut will fix my problem thanks gene

Gene, I have several left wiper arms, half are marred from rubbing on the hood. Some much worse than others. My thinking: Adjust hood, moving it back as far as possible to causing rear portion to be higher and not contact wiper arm. Ed

I bought a hood from a wrecking yard that looked prety good. Had this wipre rubbing problem. The hood was bent down just a little on the back end. Had to remove it and with it upside down and using blocks of wood underneath (top of hood) I jumped on it in the center and warped it back into the proper curve. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally posted by gene:
my windshield was replaced about 2 years ago,my wiper blade is not rubbing but the arm is right were the hinged part is my the spring. i looked again and it appeared that the knurled nut looked cocked on the shaft i ordered a nut removal tool from paddock today hoping that reseat that nut will fix my problem thanks gene

This is the exact place mine rubs, right where it attaches to the transmission assy and right where the arm is hinged.
Rob

------------------

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

Ok well I'm learning guys so im gonna have to describe what I did last weekend just before the Rain hit to repair my wipers.

My passenger side (orginal blade) rubbed horrifically a nice and pretty engravment onto my windshield, well the wiper arms looked aligned, the windshield as well, but useing a ruler and some other tools I noticed the nob was completly off, the nob being that the wiper arms run off of. It turns out being new to cars I just replaced the whole darn thing, but look closley to that nob heh

Here's a question... How that heck do ya remove the original style wiper arms... I think that mine have been on the car since 72... I don't want to damage them as they are in good shape...

Clever1, Just removed some and this is the method I've always used. Using a medium size regular screwdriver place it under the wiper arm and just resting against the shaft. Pry up firmly and the wiper arm will slip off the shaft. Ed

The arm, because of the spring, is cocked on the shaft in a bind. I take a large screwdriver and using the side of of the blade under the very end, gently pry the arm upwards. As it is coming off you will see it trying to tilt and continue to bind. This method is easier on the shaft knob. I believe they even make a tool for this.

let me first say that the wiper nut removal tool i ordered from paddock that i assumed removed the knurled wiper arm nut does not it removes the headlght and interior wiper sw. nut and like must things i touch now it looks like my wiper motor also has a slow spot in it ,so deeper into the problem i go . gene