ahh, .. nothin like open'n a big can of worms.

72MC

As some of you know I have been restoring a 72 Elkie and letting the Monte sit and watch. Well, I decided to get back to the Monte for some upgrades. Last thing I did to her was new carpet, headliner, and upholstry in 2006. Well now it is time to get rid of the 2.73 one legger and go posi. Had the new eaton carrier with 3.31's mocked up and ready to install. As I began the break down of the Monte's rear, boy was I surprised. The gearing was very sloppy for one. Brake cylinders were shot. Not much left on shoes. And to top it off, one of the axles at the bearing was badly grooved. I had a feeling things were not feeling right back there for a little while, but I didnt think it was as bad it was.

To make a long story short, I just got done with new brakes, new Yukon axles, and new Eaton carrier with some nice used 3.31 gears. Up on jacks it runs smooth. Should go nice with the couple year old springs, shocks, and control arms installed back in 2004. Now I am antsy to get her on the street and see how she runs but of course it is raining and I don't do rain with the Monte.

Now for the front end. Guess I better prepare with more new parts than what I already have waiting to be installed.

Yea I know. I have all bushings for control arms, ball joints, springs, etc., but didnt really think about the brakes. Guess I will go ahead and get new rotors, pads, calipers and just redo the whole front end. Just glad I have the tools to do all that fun stuff. Actually looking forward to it.

Well, I was able to go for good long spin today and I am very pleased with the results. Very noticeable pickup at all stages of acceleration. Big difference between the one leg sloppy 2.73 and the posi 3.31's. I am back to chipping the tires again from first to second. Brakes are noticeable better. Now for the front end. Front should not be a problem since I just got done putting the Elkie together.

kc, I use large baby wipes to clean the car now. They work great. The problem with the rain is not necessarily the water on top of the car, it is all the nooks and crannies under the car that are the problem. It is just my preference. - Dave