1971 Hood Ornament Assembly......... How Does It Go Together?

NWmonte71

I recently purchased an all original 1971 Monty. The car is missing only a couple of things....... one of them, the "Chevrolet" medallion hood ornament. The base of the hood ornament is all intact and looks great, just the upper round medallion is missing. I assume this piece attaches to the base with a spring? I hate to remove the base piece and go out and buy a whole complete new emblem. I see a few people on Ebay selling the medallion piece alone, but no attachment hardware (spring?). Can anyone tell me how it attaches or possibly post up a picture showing it?  Thanks

My first accident, when I ran into the back of a Vega, I watched in horror as my Monte Carlo emblem went flying over the Vega. Not a good day.

I remember when young people were stealing these type (all cars that had them) of spring loaded (safer) hood ornaments. They were being stolen like crazy.

Bruce

The Chevrolet emblem is attached by a spring, see attached picture.

Thank you for posting the picture! It helps make sense of how the medallion attaches. I guess now my only question is where can you find the little spring?

Not sure if they reproduce just the spring however you could go to the local hardware store and they would have a variety of springs to try.  In my younger years it was not uncommon that your hood ornament was stolen off the car.  Mercedes and Cadillac emblems were popular to turn into neck chains.  

I owned a 1977 Mercury Monarch that had it's hood ornament stolen.  I found another (by proper methods and not the "twist, yank, and run" method).  I ended up using 18 gauge wire to reattach.  I threaded the wire through the base of the medallion, pushed wire through hole on base and then wrapped the wire around the piece the spring attached to on the base.  This made the medallion stiff and you were not getting it off unless you opened the hood.  Even if they figured that out it was at least 5 minutes to unwrap the wire!!

It worked.  Just a thought.