NOS vs reproduction

sredmyer

So, I started a previous post with this same topic but I didn't really get the answers I was hoping for so I thought I would reword my question and try again. 

Are NOS parts better than reproduction and if so why.

The question is simple on the face of it but becomes more complex with details.  Most of the answers I got to that question previously had to do with quality.  While that is indeed an important consideration, it still leaves an equally (in my mind) important part of the question unanswered.  That is, would the use of reproduction parts in a restoration devalue the finished product?  In other words, if there were two cars both restored to showroom condition and equal in every respect except one was done with NOS (or reconditioned OEM) parts and the other used many reproduction parts, would there be any difference in the value of the cars?  If the two cars were both entered in a show and judged would the one using all OEM parts judge higher than the one using reproduction parts?  Assuming the answer to both of those statements is yes, how do the judges recognize the reproduction parts from the "real deal" parts?

I ask this because while I will likely never enter my car in any of the high end shows, I want to know before I start the restoration.  If it makes a difference, and I can afford to do it right, it will be much more cost effective to do it right from the start than to learn after the fact that it does indeed matter and have to go back and fix it.  On the other hand if it really does not make much difference, sourcing reproduction parts will be much easier and likely cheaper.

The answer is yes!! The nos or oem parts will make a difference in the value over reproduction parts. Which would you prefer? A kit car or an original(such as a Cobra) both look nice, however only one is worth investing in. Don't think for a minute that you can fool a real judge! Most of the ISCA judges have been doing their job since the 60's

Don't think for a minute that you can fool a real judge! Most of the ISCA judges have been doing their job since the 60's

Wasn't really thinking of fooling a judge. 

Just didn't know if there was a difference. 

My thinking was, if the repro parts are made to OEM specs (most claim this) then what is the difference?  Evidently, despite their claims, repro parts are not made to OEM specs.

To further discuss your analogy, in the "kit" cars (as I understand it) there is no effort to make "real" replacement parts...just to make parts that look real. 

In fact the parts in these kit cars are often made of fiberglass rather than metal.