Crossmember Help Needed!

I decided to treat my Monte with a new Polyurethane Trans mount since I was changing the engine out anyways ( not to mention that there was absolutely no mount on there at all and the tranny was just resting on the crossmember, not bolted down or anything) Now I find that the trans will not go high enuff to fit in the new mount! The trans hits the tunnel before it gets far enuf up to slip the mount in! The only solution that I can come up with is to flip the crossmember to the underside of the frame to gain a little clearance, but is this safe? I need to bolt the tranny in somehow! HELP! confused

try jacking the trans up by just the tailshaft.there should be more then enough room to get the mount in before the trans hits the tunnel. make sure your not jacking it up with the linkages attached

Nope, still wont fit! Is it possible that the crossmember is bent? Doesn't look like any major damage to it, but who knows with this car! I work at a machine shop, so I am just going to fab up a solid mount for now, but if anyone has any ideas, or some pictures might help, confused they would be greatly appreciated!

your crossmember maybe upside down which would cause this try fliping it and seeing what happens. is there a rubber bushing on each side of the crossmember and a bracket that bolts yours down if not then you have the wrong crossmember

alex

How good are your body bushings? Are they worn out and flat? Sure would loose clearance on your trans tunnel. Not sure how much, but maybe 3/4 if they are flat.

I know the crossmember is not upside down, but the body bushings could be a little worn. They look like they are about 1 1/2 tall??? What size are they normally? I just bought the car last Oct, and by the way other things were done to it, anything and everything is possible! nutz

I know the crossmember is not upside down, but the body bushings could be a little worn. They look like they are about 1 1/2 tall??? What size are they normally? I just bought the car last Oct, and by the way other things were done to it, anything and everything is possible! nutz

That sounds like they are normal.

Someone before you ran into the same problem and just left the mount out. The original mount pad is welded just a little down from flush with the top of the cressmember. In order to get my automatic trans-shield in, I had to cut the mount pad off and welded a piece of 4" channel, turned upside down, flush with the bottom of the crossmember. The polly mount fits quite well inside this upside down channel.

• 4 weeks later...

How about you have the wrong poly bushing for you year vehicle. The have different hieght ones out there. try a different year from a chevelle. I had that problem and bought a different one. The guy just brought out a bunch and I picked a shorter style with the same mounting holes. Jim

Or check into the tail shaft of the tranny could be a different style 350 th housing on the body ...is this tranny original to the car? Jim

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I finally got it figured out! The crossmember had been moved all the way to the rear holes, the trans mount was taken out and replaced with some bracket that looks like it was stock on something, but just not on my Monte! I took out the bracket that was bolted where the trans mount should have been, moved the crossmember foreward, and the new mount goes in great! It actually makes me feel a little stupid! Anyways thanks for all of your suggestions and help!

Jeff