Interesting 'what could have beens' for 1972 SS

Guest MC72

I was looking through my 1972 Chevelle, El Camino, and Monte Carlo Factory Assembly Manual and found some very interesting and puzzling ‘what could have beens’.

One drawing showing Monte Carlo body trim options includes a ‘72 SS 454 model. That drawing also shows that the SS 454 Monte trim package was cancelled 8-17-71. There are many drawings throughout the manual that show a ’72 LS6 454 engine option. It also shows that the LS6 option was cancelled around 5-3-71. I found the initial offering of the LS6 for ‘72 puzzling since GM really didn’t offer it in Chevelles in the 1971 model year (I think they made 4 ’71 LS6 Chevelle factory prototypes before killing the option in ’71). What really puzzled me was an LS6 drawing with C60 air conditioning showing model 13857 water pump pulley, fan, and clutch (13857 is the Monte Carlo Model number). Was somebody at GM thinking about offering a ’72 LS6 SS454 Monte at some point?

One drawing shows a special M40 trans (p/n 8627264) for LS6 applications. This trans has a different part number from the one called out for the LS5 454. The drawing shows that the LS6 M40 trans was cancelled in 8-5-71. We all know that Chevy didn’t make any 4 speed Monte’s in 1972, but some ’72 assembly manual drawings from 8-10-71 show 4 speed parts that have model 13857 called out. Was GM planning on offering 4 speeds in Monte’s in ’72 as well? Another puzzling drawing shows manifold vacuum connections for an LS6 454 that has…………K30 cruise control of all things.

It looks like somebody at GM wanted to offer a 1972 Monte Carlo SS454 with LS6, 4 speed, air conditioning, and cruise control. I’ll take it GM, but only as long as it’s green. LOL!!

Well...

I'm sort of building a "what should have been made" Monte. I know I'm nuts for doing this, but oh well, its my car and I'm going to build it the way I would wanted to order one. smile

Can anyone say 72 SS 454 Custom LS6, or in my case LS8, as my engine builder said.? cool

Yes, I wish Chevrolet would have thought about that, just like with the 83-88 Monte Carlo SS, what could have been of those cars with a 350 or even a Big Block. Oh well, many of my conversations about cars are "what coulda, shoulda, but wouldn't"!