Shift Kits

kc8oye

Anyone run a B&M TransPak?

I'm thinking I'd like to put a transpak in my th350c in the monte...

but I'm not sure about transpack stage 1 or 2... smile

i want hard shifts.. but i really only want it barking the tires under high-throttle shifts wink

I had the transpack in my old Monte. I would highly recommend the Stage two. If I remember right (I was in college at the time eek ) they do not have you block off the vaccum accumulator with that kit. If you do have to block it off, the trans will think you are at full throttle all the time, meaning late, very hard shifts. But again I do not think that is the case. The stage one is geared more toward towing vehicles. I would also recommend a new adjustable vaccum modulator. They are easy to put on and you can then adjust the shift points to your liking.

555673_1_full.jpg

My Monte Homepage

I have the 2. But it is the version from probably 10+ years ago. Trans has been in the car for 8 years now. They guy before me put it in. The receipt was from about 2 years before I bought it. It did bark the tires in 2nd before I put in the converter. Monte

The kits I have dealt with give you the option of how hard you want the shifts. It all came in one box, and could be set up for drag, hi perf street, and RV-heavy duty. I set mine up with the RV mods, and then adjust the part-throttle shifts with the modulator. It shifts firm, but not hard. No neck jerking or tire chirping under normal conditions...full throttle is a whole different animal.

71, installing a shift kit in your transmission is a good idea whether you are driving a stock vehicle or a full-on racing vehicle... of course you will install slightly different ones depending on how harsh you want the tranny to shift.

It basically boils down to the fact that the average consumer has a few ideas because they don't know better:

1) they want a car that shifts smoothly as they drive to the grocery store.

2) they think that a tranny that shifts smoothly is better for a trans.

#1 is just a preference... racers may have other preferences.

#2 is just plain wrong. In going from one gear to another, (everything else the same), the longer it takes to shift the smoother the shift will be, but during that time more friction is being created, which creates heat. That HEAT is what kills trannies.

As people have moved for more smoother-shifting transmissions, transmission life has dropped in half. A shift kit gives up some of the "smooth shift" for the sake of your tranny, and can easily double its life.

I personally know of a 6600 lb. 1972 Impala on the original transmission (with a shift kit installed) that currently has over 400,000 miles on the transmission, and that is behind a 409 cu in motor that has been clocked by a state trooper decelerating at 147 mph (so the tranny's been under severe use)... note that this is a TH350 behind that motor, and the trans is original.

Shift kits are cheap, and are made by several good companies. B&M has a good one.

They make a difference--but if you routinely have passengers in your car I don't recommend going with the harshest shift level because you'll hear lots of complaints! They ahve a stage 2, as I recall, which is a great setup, right in the middle.

Good luck

Will

Hey Kc8, Just had my th350 rebuilt with the b&M shift kit(Street/strip). I actually picked the car up today. Took it for a test drive with the mech. and we both had a good laugh. With the bone stock motor and a dead 273 open rear the tire chirped from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to drive was nice and firm. The tranny is awsome. I stand behind a fresh rebuid and the B&M...Cant wait to set up the rear and build the motor now. Good luck ...AL