Interesting shift linkage problem

kc8oye

my existing 'stock' shift linkage for my Th350 fit the 700r4 perfectly.. nothing was too short.. all fit right back the way it was supposed to. The detents in the column don't match the detents in the trans, but that's ok, the column is so worn out they don't work anyway :>

but here's the interesting part... everything is ok for Park & Reverse, but when I hit nuetral, Drive, or L3 (can't get to L2 or l1 with the slop that still exists) the shift linkage hits the exhaust header!

I'm not _too_ worried right now because the spring on the crosshaft allows some give, it's ok in drive, but I think in the lower gears the rest of the linkage will hit...

here's what I had in mind until I get a floor-shift ratchet shifter in..

I'm going to pull the shift linkage in to the frame as far as it will go (the slot in the bracket on the trans allows this), mark it. then drill a small hole thru it and add a washer and a cotter pin or hairpin clip to keep the linkage pulled towards the frame so it won't rub the header.

I remember that when I installed a B&M Megashifter, every tranny type had a different bracket which would attach to the tranny... Maybe that has something to do with it?

Tim you need to pick up a cross shaft from a car that had the 700r4. I have used them from impalas and from P/U(mid 80s). the difference is small change in the lenght of the arm where the rod connects off the column.

grease.. that would fix my detent problem, but I really don't care about that. unless the 'arm' that attached to the crossshaft is moved outward toward the frame more.. (taht would fix my issue).. but for now it's fine.. I'm pushing hard to get the car done for saturday, and I think it will be smile

only thing left now is to drill out and retap the screw that holds the speedo drive assembly into the case, and then fill it with oil and go for a test drive smile