Lockup Torque converters

Ok correct me If I'm wrong. The lock up mechanism which is electrical is to help with heating problems at highway speeds, right? It keeps the converter from slipping right? If not why is it necessary to hook this up? thanks.

Jon.

Jon my experience ..limited to 700r4 . the lock up system in that trans is an electric soleniod which opens an oil circuit . this circuit allows fluid to apply the locking clutch in the converter.the purpose of lockup is to eliminate slippage and get full power transfer. lockup can eliminate some heat build caused by the slipping of fluid in the converter,although in some 700s there is a temp switch which actually unlocks the converter to get rid of heat . check out

WWW.700r4.com i think they have some info on there web site.

hope this doesnt confuse you more .

mike

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grease:
Jon my experience ..limited to 700r4 . the lock up system in that trans is an electric soleniod which opens an oil circuit . this circuit allows fluid to apply the locking clutch in the converter.the purpose of lockup is to eliminate slippage and get full power transfer. lockup can eliminate some heat build caused by the slipping of fluid in the converter,although in some 700s there is a temp switch which actually unlocks the converter to get rid of heat . check out
WWW.700r4.com i think they have some info on there web site.
hope this doesnt confuse you more .

mike
</font>

Dang Mike thats a good site. I actually fully understand the process now! It's quite simple. Lock up converters are basicaly along the same lines as a normal manual clutch assembly only it's inside the converter. I have to admit that I started to get alittle confused and was going to skip a couple pages but I read through the whole thing it it got more clear the more I read. I even undertand the relationship between the switch and the converter and why it's there and it's function. Thanks a million!!!!

Jon.

Jon your welcome . glad to help spread the word . i have been watching that website grow over the last yr or so. they are always adding more.i sent a question to them by email.he wasnt able for some reason to email back to me . sooooo one saturday i got a phone call . the man talked with me for near 30 minutes . i was really impressed by that. i think you will be happy with them if you need there service.

mike

Have a 700R4 in my 71. Lockup feature is acomplished by an internal hydualic switch,

electric lines aren't used at all. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 project 2" chop/Green/346LS1/4L60E

Ed, there has to be an electrical switch somewhere on that car to actuate the lock up feature. the one I'll wind up going with is used with the brake pedal arm. This switch is a double duty switch that controls the brake lights and the hydraulic valve for the lock up feature. If theres no switch, the converter is in the lock position all the time. When the brake pedal is pressed it disingages the clutch assembly in the converter via the new switch at the brake pedal arm activating the hydraulic valve in the tranny letting fluid into the front of the converter pushing the clutch part of the converter rearwards disingaging the lockup part of the converteralowing it to "freewheel",the fan part of the converter drive the tranny. Locking up the converter turns the tranny almost into a direct drive. The crank, converter and main shaft into one unit. Did you install the tranny yourself?

jon.

Jon, Trans was rebuilt and I have installed it. Rebuilder has an excellent reputation and I believe he knows automatics. However, the Monte hasn't been driven yet. The hydraulic switch is activated at a selected rpm to cause converter to lockup. When motor falls below the selected rpm converter unlocks. But the proof is in the pudding, will only know results when it's driven. Current estimate for it's first test run is Spring '03. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 project 2" chop/Green/346LS1/4L60E

[This message has been edited by ejw71 (edited 10-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ejw71 (edited 10-26-2002).]

Hey you may be right there Ed. There's more than one way to make the lock up functional. They had another more complicated system that I did'nt get into, but there has to be a way for the valve to know when the cars stopping or accelerating so it can ingage or dis ingage the lockup converter. I know more than I did when I posted the topic but hey I'll be honest here and admit that for me this was just a tip of the iceberg as far as trannys go for me. I'm sure this guy will have it all lined out for you, you seem very confident in his ability, I hope you many trouble free miles!!!! See you in Branson!

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...