U-joint hitting shift tunnel, using energy Suspens

Arvizu9618

Hey All,

I'm using the Energy Suspension tranny mount which is a two-piece mount.

My U-joiunt/drive shaft hits the "shift tunnel" when I use the flat plate provided, but not when I have it out.

Is it possible that my cross-member is warped or could it be my pinion angle is out?

I pounded on the shift tunnel to reduce the knocking, haven't road tested it yet and I hate to have to cut the shift tunnel to allow clearance.

Any Energy Suspension horror stories?

Thanks fellers,

ART

I used the Prothane motor mount/tranny mount combo (part no. 7-1902-BL) when I put my 402/TH400 back in. I've never had ANY motor mounts before these that fit so well. I installed the engine and trans together and when the motor sat down on them mounts I could literally slide the bolts in and out by hand. No finagling required! My understanding is that Energy Suspension's quality is just as good but maybe someone with experience with their product will chime in. Based on my experience though, I'm wondering about the condition of your motor mounts. Are they the right ones? Are they in good shape? Is your tranny crossmember correct? Is it the original motor and tranny?

Mike

It's the energy suspension trans mount. They're too thick.

and no, you can't leave that plate out.

we used one on a 70 SS car that we put a 502/th400 combo in at leo's, and while the ujoint wasn't hitting, the balance ring on the driveshaft did.

but man, if your ujoint is hitting the floor, you have a major problem... are you using the energy suspension engine mounts too? it sounds like the tail of the trans is sitting too high.

I have the energy suspension motor mounts and trans mount on my big block/TH400 and have no issues. I even have the rubber mounts on the ends of my cross member.

Well I have the crossmember out and sure enough it has a slight bend. It's true that the E.S. mount sits a little higher but bent Xmember bould make it sit highter,

I'm going to temporarily install the member upside down and lift car the car on it to take the warp out, I'll let you know how it out it all comes out.