700 r4 stall question

Hoodicoff1

Well getting a real nice tax return, so Im getting the 700r4 built up for the 383. My question is what kind of stall should I be running for a convertor? Its a well built 383 stroker with a average grind cam, motor still has some bottom end but does still have a good lope to it. Someone said I should be running around 2500 stall then someone else says around 3000 stall? any reccomendations?

hooter i got a 2500 stall in my both 700r4 i have one is behind a big block and the other is behind a small block. 3000 stall might be to big my uncle has one in his 56 chevy, for it to move in drive he has to incress the rpms up to 2000 rpms just to move in drive.

I concure with momte70car. I've had two 700r4's now and that 25-2700rpm range seems to work the best with a street car with good power and taller gears whether a 383 small block, or a big block. I'm not sure about shorter gears. My car has had 4.10:1 gears in it since I bought it. I imagine it would work well with 3.73:1 gears as well.

BB

thanks guys, just had the tranny upgraded to a 30 spline, stage 2 shift, heavy duty bands, corvette servo, shorter tail stock. Today I ordered the 24-2600 hole shot convertor from B&M. Now just gotta find some time to pull the engine back out, throw the new tranny in then its time for exhuast which is gonna be more shopping around. Cant wait only been 4 damn years (coming up to 5 now)