Single Turbo, BBC S400?

Reaper

Hey guys Im planning on doing a single turbo I have been pricing everything and looking into it. Most people I talk to reccomend the S400 turbo. I know there is someone on here with one on a small block. I like the S400 and might go with it but it is $600 bucks and is very similar to another turbo that I can get for $250 bucks. I dont have the exact specs of the S400 but I do have some of the S480 which is close...

The S480, Compressor is .66 A/R with 80MM inducer/114.1 exducer and the turbine is a 1.3 A/R with 88MM

The turbo Im looking at is .66 A/R with 81MM inducer/108MM exducer and the turbine is a 1.05 A/R with 87MM

What do you guys think? Thanks, Tom

I'm not sure what size to tell you, but I can tell you that by going with one, on a BBC, you'll need a relatively large one, which will in turn give you a pretty large turbo lag. I've looked into this a little bit too, but am still pretty skeptical. I think a dual setup would work better, but I know you're trying to keep cost down, so there lies the dilemma. Maybe finding a used Procharger would be easier? And you wouldn't have any lag issues or exhaust issues. Just my two cents. I will be following this thread though because it's a very interesting question! Please keep us updated too, I'll be really curious once it's done how it turns out!

Best of luck! wink

There is a site, turbomustangs.com that i have been going to a lot... there are a few people running a single S400 turbos on BBC. They said that I should beable to build 10 psi by 3500 RPM... Prolly wouldnt be to bad since it is a street car and running full boost on the street would prolly be a little outta control smile Ill keep ya posted and see how it goes.

Tom

Ive always said if I wreck this car I dont want to survive it... smile Turbo will help smile lol Just kidding of course, I know I will have to be careful with it.... I have never even owned a car with forced induction so it should be interesting for a while... Just pricing stuff and trying to plan it out a bit.. I still have A LOT of work to do to the car before I can put a turbo on it.. Gotta rebuild the 4L80, finish the rear end and upgrade the fuel system. Buncha money but I think it will be more than worth it!

Tom

I know there is someone on here with one on a small block.

MeanMonte is the one, you might want to PM him to see exactly what he used in case he doesn't see this thread, here's a link...MeanMonte's profile

Bill

684754_24_full.jpg

Reaper, I'm running the s471 its a very good value. With the BB I would run the s475 or maybe larger. It all depends on what you want to do. Do you have a SN over at the turbo forum? mine is oldmonte If you go to the chevy section my build thread is on the third page. I custom built my entire setup and could setup yours when the time comes. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I am in ohio also in the dayton area. Good luck! BTW a s480 is considerably more than a s475.

Hey meanmonte... Yes I have a screen name on the turbo forum, its Chevy5771. People over there were suggesting the S400... How much is an S475? Im not wanting to go over board on money because I have a lot of money to spend in other places before I try and add more HP. The only reason I started considering it is because I got a pair of exhaust manifolds cheap to use turbos and I have been wanting to do some kind of power adder. There is also the cheap chinese turbos I keep seeing on ebay... The T-66 for 250 bucks shipped keeps getting me thinking about getting it.... I asked a few people that bought them from the guy and they arent having any problems with them... They seem to flow enough for what I want to do, but I could be doing some really bad math... Im not very good at it anyway... I really wanted to do a twin set up since we Monte owners have so much room it wouldnt be a problem but I dont want to spend that much more money and run more lines and piping...

Also I would love your help when the time comes! I have no idea what Im doin smile

Tom

The "T-66" turbo Im looking at on ebay is; Compressor .66 A/R 81MM in/108MM ex and the Turbine is 1.05 A/R and 87MM

You think if I wanted to try it and be a cheap [censored] it would work? I know I should prolly just spend the extra money and get the better known turbo but it would be a long time before I could come up with that much more money. Im outta cars to sell... smile

S475MM is only 600 bucks so I will atleast get that turbo... just asked Dave what a S480 would cost... But 600 bucks doesnt seem to bad for lotsa power and knowing its gonna stay together... laugh Ill keep ya posted on when Im gonna start getting serious about it... have to rebuild the trans before I do ANYTHING else... Thanks, Tom

For the reliability, lack of turbo lag, ease of installation from an all inclusive kit, I'd go with a Pro Charger centrifigal supercharger with an intercooler. BB Chevy's love these things and they are extremely efficient. Hopefully one day I'll have one. At 10.1 compression with 9lbs of boost intercooled I can make 1,000hp and still be able to drive my car any where I want to go. I'll need to buy stock in a tire company when that happens.

Your guys's only downfall is the BB hahahahha........... Turbo forever!!!!!!!!!!!!! Turbo will have full boost by a set rpm not at peak like a cintrifigal SC. And those prochargers have a somewhat bad rap for being unreliable. I think ill stick with my turbo that was designed for oh say maybe 300K miles.... Hey those centerline wheels worked out really well on the car. I dont think i have any pics but just thought i would thank you again. Eli

Im mostly going with the turbo because I can buy parts over time instead of having to spend about 3k all at once... Plus there arent a lot of people I hang out with that have turbos... Couple have superchargers but no turbos. I like being different smile Thats one reason I chose a Monte Carlo 11 years ago... smile Wow Ive had this car a long time...

Tom

Maybe but Im doing it a pretty easy way I think... Using two stock BBC manifolds, turning them around to face forward... Then using exhaust pipe to goto the flange for the turbo. Was gonna try to find headers or try to build some but I have heard this will work so I figure what the heck, Ill give it a shot smile Got some manifolds off ebay for 10 bucks smile The turbo will be in the same location that meanmonte's is and the exhaust will be run the same way.

Tom

Using two stock BBC manifolds, turning them around to face forward...

Are you having them face forward by swapping sides or are you flipping them upside down so the exhaust is facing forward but is also higher up?

Bill

Hey MeanMonte, gld to here the wheels were the ticket. About the bad rep for Pro Cargers. That's interesting as anyone who I know who either has, or has had one loved them. Powerdyne is the one I here the most complaints about and there even seems to be issues with Vortec's as well. If nothing else the idea of not having to punch a hole in my oil pan to lube my power adder appeals to me. You just change the SC oil when you change your engine oil.

Guest tuxedoMouse71
I am in ohio also in the dayton area.

You're in Fairborn? That's up by Wright-Patt, correct?

I live just east of Cinci, but go up to Dayton fairly often during the summer. I gotta come up and check out that turbo setup of yours sometime!

I live almost across the street from the base ha! Let me know if you want to come by sometime.

There are no direct turbo kits im aware of pretty much everything is custom built for the cars. Banks has a super high dollar setup for sb not sure about bb though.

A guy i work with put one on a C6 when they first came out and they had to send it back in to have the thing rebuilt. I think the bearings went out. I really really wanted a procharger until i started to research all forms of forced induction. I set mine up for less money and have a much better setup than i would have with the procharger. Of course the there is a lot of research and fab work involved. I couldnt begin to say how many hours i have in the research. The fab work was the easy/fun part. If i had the funds and there was enough of a market i would be building turbo cars!

There is a BBC twin turbo set up for sale on the turbo web page Im talking about.. www.turbomustangs.com

You have to register and log in then it will bring up a members classified section... The turbo set up is like 3 pages in I think... Expencive though $4500 OBO but includes everything for a bunch of power... smile

Tom