Solid roller lifters on a hyd roller cam?

Heckeng

Have any of you done this? I called Lunati today to get a cam recommendation, and the tech recommended a hyd. roller cam, with mechanical roller lifters. I asked him if I could just do that with my current hyd roller cam, and he said sure.

I'm wondering if there are significant performance gains from eliminating any slop or bleed down from the hydraulic rollers or not.

I have heard about running solid rollers on a hydraulic roller cam. I don't know how long it would last. I have retrofit hyd rollers in my big block. they are heavy and take a lot of valvespring to control. AFR is making rev kits for small block hydraulic rollers but I can't find anything for big blocks. I wonder if they like the lighter solid rollers for rpm's. What kind of clearance are they recomending with the solids on the hyd cam? Solid cams, roller and flat tappet have clearance ramps that take up the valve lash before the true lift begins. I don't know if hyd cams have this.

I would be real interested on how it works out.

I have also heard about using solid flat tappets on the hydraulic flat tappet cams Mark, but there are not many people who've done it to comment on them. More people feel safe doing the solid rollers on hyd roller cams since there are no real wear issues.

Mike, yes, the higher rpm capability is why people do it. I am just curious if it gets you any additional performance or not. I would like to use the solid rollers because of the weight of the hydraulics like you said too. I know Don doesn't like the hydraulic rollers much so that makes me curious to try a solid too.

I have heard that you can only switch one way though, always from a hydraulic cam to the solid, and never from solid to hydraulic lifters because the ramp rates of the hydraulic cams are easy for a solid lifter and valve springs to handle, but solid roller cams have such a quick ramp that the hydraulic lifters and valve springs can't handle the pressures.

Guest ADGTRUNKLID

I am lost; I run a solid lifter cam. Here I have heard running a solid lifter on a roller cam and solid roller on a hyd cam as well as Solid lifters on a hyd cam. I think the cam grinds are ground a certain way to rotate the lifters a certain way in the lifter bores; I could be wrong. If someone has done this and had at least 5 successful paths it may be of value. nutz

Hey Lloyd,

You can't mix up roller and non-roller cams and lifters because of exactly what you're saying. On non roller cams, there is a slight crown on one side of the lobe, which spins the lifters and keeps them from wearing impropperly. Some people HAVE said though, that you can run solid flat tappet lifters on a hydraulic flat tappet cam.

With Solid and Hydraulic roller cams though, there is no crown, so you can only run roller lifters. What some people have done, and what Lunati tech told me to do is to use one of their cams which was ground with the original intention of being a hydrdaulic roller cam, but use solid roller lifters. Some cam companies even list the same cam grinds in their hydraulic roller sections, and their mechanical roller sections. This swap has been done by many people, but I'm not sure how much benefit there is other than rpm potential.