Tranny Slipping

Guest monte kid

Guest monte kid

As of a few days ago my transmission started acting up. It will shift perfectly fine at WOT but under normal conditions will rev to around 3500-4000 before jolting into gear.

It does this for both the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shifts. If I don't rev it up to the point it shifts and I let go of the gas it will just slip out of gear and back to idle then when I press the pedal again it does nothing until it has reached the rpm I let it off at. It works perfectly once it has made it into 3rd gear though.

I have read some other forums and was wondering if it was a pump or the modulator. Also we have a 700r4 that is going into the car in a few months so I'm not planning on spending any money on this one and was wondering if it will drive ok for the time being or if this is doing damage to the tranny?

Does it always rev to the same point, or did you just lose engine braking? 400s are notorious for losing engine braking, especially when you install a shift kit due to the valving rerouting. After time, or lack of use, the seals can dry up somewhat and not seal properly which will eliminate engine braking as well. If this is what it sounds like, you could try some tranny stop leak, which will soften up the seals. Like Sam said though, it probably won't last.

Guest monte kid

It's lost engine braking only in the first 2 gears. Once you rev it to about 4000 in 2nd and it shifts up to 3rd it works perfectly, engine braking, downshifting, and lockup. It's mainly the problem of it not shifting until it is reving really high. I'll get the filter and fluid changed and see how that works. I'm in SC at school and have to drive the car home to Chicago where the transmission is or else i'd just put the 700 in now. I just need it to last until then.