Turbo 400 fluid level

427monte

Hello everyone,

I am restoring a 1970 Monte Carlo with a turbo 400 trans in it. The trans was completely rebuilt using a Coan 2800-3000 stall torque converter. I am also using a B & M Supercooler trans. cooler. I have also installed a new Milodon trans dip stick. I read in my service manual that a dry trans will take 11 quarts of fluid. I put about 1 quart in the torque converter before I installed the trans to the engine.

The question is, how do I know if I have the correct amount of fluid in the trans? I need to mark the level on the new dipstick, but I don't want to do that until I know I have the correct amount in.

Did I put enough fluid in the torque converter to begin with? and if not will the fluid circulate into it after I get the motor running?

With the new trans cooler I added I'm sure that will increase the amount of fluid I need to put in also. I also rerouted my trans lines so that will effect the amount also.

Any info/help would be great!

Thanks, Dave

Do you still have the original dipstick? The trans will have to be filled, engine started, then filled again. Then you need to select each gear including reverse and neutral with engine running to fill all the chambers and then recheck the level.

The converter will fill by itself once the engine is started. The trans level is pretty important: Too full and it is bad on the trans, and too low it's bad also.

Maybe you can borrow a friend's stock dipstick and set it alongside your new one (with the tube caps side-by-side)) to get your "full" line in the right place?

No I don't have the original dip stick. I don't have the original tube either. I installed a flexible braided tube. Maybe I should try to find an original tube and dip stick and install it on my trans to get my fluid where it should be. Then put the new pieces back on.

Thanks for you help!

not really, measure the depth of the pan, run a small wire down the dipstick tube until it hit the pan, and measure how much of the wire went into the fuild, compaired to the pan depth once you get the correct level, mark your dipstick