Fiberglass

kc8oye

Where do you guys get your fiberglassing stuff? I know I can get fiberglass body filler.. but I'm looking for the mat material and the resin for making custom things...

i've got a nifty idea for a center console smile

Guest 71SSMC

You can get fiberglass supplies at any boat supply store, thats where I go to buy resin and mesh for custom shower bases.

Boater's world and West marine are the names of the boat supply chain stores here in Jersey.

We have a good selection of stuff at our local plastics store. I found them in the phone book...but beware, there is a bunch of neat stuff in that store like the expanding foams and balistic gels and all that stuff you've seen on Mythbusters.

Oh, and they have acrylic resins and fiberglass supplies.

allan.. npe.. never worked with glass before... but there's at least one way to learn!! (same way I learned to weld, I just picked the welder up and figured it out:)

Guest Evil Austin

Just like what Jaylene said plus I Gaf or Duct tape my sleeves to my arms and my sweatshirt hem (bottom) to my hips so I am enclosed, fiberglass is the devil to get out !

-EA

By the way you guys are my hero's I have been looking for a supplier of Carbon Fiber and couldn't find it anywhere, whenever I did a search online all I was getting were links companies that sell products made of carbon fiber, not the cloth itself!

Mike wants to use it for a custom center console for us. Has anyone made anything with it? If so do you have pictures and are there any tips for working with it?

blah.. I work with fiberglass insulation in bare hands and arms... i have skin like leather smile

it amazes people how I can let my cat chew at my hand and he doesn't do any real damage smile

thanks for the tips guys!!

btw.. I checked out my local parts store closely... they have it.. it's just down on the bottom shelf with the Gallon jugs of bondo smile

$33 for a gallon of Bondo brand Resin.. saw the matt there too I think it was about $6 a package.. not sure how much was there.

soon as I figure out what I'm gonna do first with it.. lol

Allan.. how does it work doin a Gelcoat layer? when Lou did his fiberglass fender extensions on MuscleCars he didn't show how they did the gelcoat.

gelcoat is a product. Carbon fiber is much more finiky to work with if you are going to be able to see it as the cloth snags very very easy which makes it look like poop. Overall the CF actually seems to drape better. The cloth i have is twill weave. I havn't used much yet, i was going to make inner fenders with it but i backed out of it. I am very sensitive to glass fibers in my arms, i get irritated by firewall pads at work when doing tuneups.

so do you just spread the gelcoat into the mold first? then do you let it harden/dry/tack/ or just start laying the mesh and resin right over top of it whiel it's still wet?

hrrm, i didn't think about using an old t-shirt... :>

but I figured I'd just staple the first layer of mesh down and stretch it tight that way.. or somthing :>

use the cloth as above to get the best shape. if you staple the glass it wont be able to drape right and will bunch up and distort. i belive if you are using a female mold you paint it with gelcoat and let it tack up i belive. there are different types of gelcoat. do some searching on the internet and you should be able to find step by step, maybe even on the sites i posted for you. good luck

• 3 weeks later...

ok.. one last question.. I hope...

If I'm doing somthing with multiple layers of mesh/matting.. as I lay the matting down and soak it with resin.. should I let that dry and harden before I add the next layer, or should I just do it all at once while it's still wet?

that's kinda what I was thinking meanmonte.. but I was also thinking that it could create problems with not drying/hardening properly.