just got a 700r4

Guest Camaro kid

Guest Camaro kid

Its a manual kickdown.

What im wondering is if i ineed a special crossmember to put this in a 1970 monte carlo?

Would i need to make one or modify one. Or can i buy one frm like jegs or summit?

My drive shafy did have to be shortened. I never asked how much though. I hope someone corrects me if im wrong but I thought all 700r4 are'nt actuly manual kick down but that cable is a line pressure regulator not a cable that pulls the TH350 or TH400 into second but a cable that makes the fluid pressure (drop or rise im not sure) to make the tranny drop into second it has to be set up correctly so as not to burn out the tranny. Just throwin' that info out there to let ya know not to treat the kick down on the 700r4 the same as a th350. Hope the swap goes well!! Jjs

Guest Camaro kid

HMMMMMMMMM... I know the T.V. cable needs to be set up properly but yeah ill have to do some more looking around i guess. i was thinking of turning this one in as a core and getting a rebuilt one with a shift kit in it. i only paid 100 for it from my neighbor so i know it runs right now.

Yeah i think the driveshaft needs to be shortened too im almost positive on that one.

I just neeed to measure center line to center line and my friends shop should be able to make my new driveshaft.

Guest Camaro kid

Judge

Did it bolt right up to your LS1?

For now im just going to put a used motor in to use as my DD i think but im looking at getting an LS1 or something like that in the long run for it.

the stock monte carlo crossmember should work.. the holes should already be there in the frame. I use an impala crossmember that doesn't require the rubber bushings to the frame like the monte crossmember does, and I just slid it back and it lined up with the very last set of holes in the frame.

the TH350 driveshaft will work. you really should measure to be certain, but IIRC, I had 6" taken out of my driveshaft when I did the swap. If I could find the machine shop receipts i'd tell you for sure smile

you will even want to use the TH350 yoke, as it's stronger then a 700r4 unit, plus it saves on headaches when it comes time to change the ujoints.

everything else should fit fine, the cooler lines should be the same, the shift linkage fits about the same. I have a column shift car and the shift gate is all shot to Heck so I don't knwo if that makes a difference, but my stock column shifter lets me hit all 4 forward positions L1 thru OD. my gear indicataor in the speedo has never worked, so I didn't even worry about that smile

I'm going to a Hurst ProMatic2 ratchet shifter too...

YeS It did just bolt up to the ls1 We thought it needed a spacer but If I remember correctly it didnt need anything in the end just the correct flywheel. Jjs

• 2 months later...

I have looked into this same setup for my '72. The crossmember will move back about 3" and you may have to drill 2 new holes in the frame on each side for the new location. I have not looked yet to see if there is another set.

The drive shaft has to be shortened about 3". Mark where your drive shaft is not in relation to the rear end and then put the drive shaft in the new tranny and measure the difference. Have a good driveshaft shop do the shortening and the balancing.

You can get a TV cable kit from a lot of places and you'll need it.

Good luck!

700r4's use a TV cable (Throttle Velocity) this cable changes line pressure yes, but also controls shift points, and provides the kick-down function. it MUST be hooked up, or your trans won't make it 500 miles

if you are converting from a TH350 trans, it is more like 6" that will be have to be taken out of your driveshaft.. I'm not sure about the TH400.

Denny's Driveshaft's are a good source to purchase an aftermarket shaft that will be tougher than your OEM one and if you follow their measuring instructions it will be a perfect fit. Besides ensuring the TV cable is adjusted properly make sure you have right govenor installed. Usually one from from a late model Corvette works best, but you have to play with it and the TV cable to get your shift points right. Believe it, or not you can delay the 1-2 shift in a 700 by being patient in your adjustments. Sometimes I wish I still had mine. I fear that if I keep my car the turbo 400 will have a Gear Vendors over/under drive behind it and yet another new driveshaft(on my third one one already). I can't stress enough that you can't build a 700r4 with stock parts for performance. If you can't find a local shop that specializes in performance builds. Buy one off the shelf from companies like PATC, or Gear Star. At least buy the parts from PATC and then have a local shop build it. A stock 700r4 WILL fail anything over 300HP. Don't take my word for it, do the research on actual data. Overkill is the key.

Allan you crack me up! It was so hot this past weekend that the car and the bike stayed in the garage. I've never seen it this hot this early. Beginning Saturday and lasting all the way through Tuesday the temps are 100, or higher with idexes up to 110. Nasty! Even my pool is disgestingly hot at 89. I should just take a bar of soap with me and bath in the pool. The heat is suppossed to break on Wednesday back to the upper 80's, but the nights back into the upper 60's is what I'm looking forward to. I imagine Florida is even worse. I'm seriously considering moving north in a couple years.