Broken rear end-Help!

Today the housing on my rearend broke, it is the part that the axle slids in and it broke where it goes in to the acutal differential, I need help becasue i cant replace a whole diff, does anyone know of any companys that make new housings or if anyone has seen this problem before. any help will be good. Thanks alot.

If the rearend housing broke....you need to find a used replacement rearend. that is the first time I ever heard of a housing breaking unless it was raced. Tell us more where it broke. Axle tube to differential housing? Did it break or slip out of the differential housing? 10-bolt or 12-bolt? My curiosity has the best of me right now?

I agree with fred on this one do tell what happened???? if it is the axle tube any machine shop should be able to replace the tube. its just plug welded to the differential housing. or go with a good used one from the wrecking yard.

alex

The differntial housing is cracked bad, we are gonna end up ordering a new 3.73 differential, I think it happened in a launch, but there is no way of fixing this one.

Diff housing cracked during a launch, means either the caps got loose or ring gear shattered or pinion broke internally. Sounds like you need a new or used rear end and all new parts intenally. 12-bolt or 10-bolt. If 10-bolt? Now is a good time to replace with a 12-bolt rearend. Keep us posted. Seen many rears explode at the track. It happens.

Fred

• 4 weeks later...

Are you sure you are not talking about the carrier? That is what the ring gear is mounted to and the axles slide into . The carrier houses the spider gears and or posi clutches and spider gears. The axle housing is the cast center that holds the carrier and has the axle tubes pressed and welded into it. These are the proper terms maybe this can help use figure which parts you destroyed. I have diff parts if I can help. call or email me . Jim

The part that cracked was the axle housing itself, and when I had it re built I found out i took a couple teeth off the ring and pinion, but as of now the rearend is fixed, we put a whole new 12 bolt in it and I put the 3.73 gears in it and its really nice.