Front Spring HELP!!!

Guest Lindmair

Guest Lindmair

I have no ground clearance and need to replace the front coil springs in my 70 Monte with 85K miles. I am looking at stock springs and is it true they are all the same in this year (big Block vs. Small block) I get the same part number for any size motor?. I am looking to set the front up a bit to get some clearance since this is my new driver. I was wondering if Chevelle Big block springs would be the way to go or if somebody has already tried this? I have a small block car with a 350 and A/C. I can't get the jack under the crossmemember as it sits now. I really prefer to have a higher stance and wondering what to try. They part number for the springs also match the springs for a small block Chevelle and that is why I am wondering about using the Big Block Chevelle springs in my application. Any help or wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated. I am a brand new member and new to Monte Carlos but have been into chevy since I was born! THank you.

they make a alum spacer that sits under the spring to raise the ride height, they do have a spring for the big block monte too

PM Mikstudie, he is great with our suspensions, he might be able to come-up with the moog part numbers too

if you have never replaced springs on a "A" body before, do not try it yourself, take it in, they're under a LOT of pressure eek, and you have to be careful of the control arm hooking the "backingplate" when you try to lower the lower control arm

it sounds like those springs have been heated to make it sit that low.

the smallblock springs are pretty easy to replace on the car smile

jack the frame up, you are going to need it _HIGH_ in the air a good 2 feet..

put a stand under it.

for good measure, wrap a chain thru the spring and around the frame and fasten it.. just case the spring does try to take off...

remove the shock. and sway bar end link.

place the jack JUST under the lower control arm, but not touching it.

remove lower cotter pin and undo lower ball joint nut just to the end of the threads.

now whack the side of the spindle a few times with a large hammer until the ball joint seperates (the nut & jack will stop it going anywhere)

now use the jack to put pressure on the lower control arm and remove the nut.

SLOWLY lower the jack down and let the control arm come down. you might want to try the spindle back out of the way.

you have to bring the control arm down to almost vertical but the spring will simply drop out to the ground now.

putting the new spring back in can be a pain.. basicly you have to jack the control arm back up while trying to jockey the spring back in place. This takes a lot of patience... IF you can find one.. an *INTERNAL* spring compressor would make life a lot easier... big prybars help too.. remember to chain the spring to the frame so it doesn't try to kill you :>

if you use big block springs, you _WILL_ have to have the compressor.

and basicly once you get the spring seated just right (it has to sit in a speciific position in the control arm, you will see where the end of the spring should sit. the fun part is getting it in place in the frame.. there is a collar that the center of the spring has to fit around up there.. once you get it around that, it's just jack it up back into place, re attach the lower ball joint and re-assemble.

If this sounds like too much for you.. then you might want to have it done smile

As long as you have common sense and pay attention to what your doing you should be OK to do it yourself... I did myself all by myself for the first time last year... I never even seen it done before and I was OK... Just make sure you have a chain around the spring and it cant go anywhere!

Tom

I used big block springs and I didnt use a compressor... but that might be because I used 1"lowering springs? dunno... Maybe I just got lucky.... smile