700R4 Swap

I have a 71 monte with a small block that I swapped the turbo 350 for a 700R4 and all is well except I'm having trouble locating a hot wire that is on with ignition for the torque convertor lock up. Any guidance would be much appreciated. 

Hi Jason,

B&M, TCI, and other transmission builders make a kit just for this.... And depending which version of the 700 you have determines which one you'll need.

I've included some diagrams that might help you. 

I did the same thing with a 200r4, but had it rebuilt, so the internal wiring was done at that time. If you've already installed your transmission you're going to have to go inside to change pressure switches and wiring, but just inside the pan. 

Good luck. :)1270435043_700r4internalwiring.jpg.9986abaa615ea6849fcfcfc061120b0f.jpg2037145776_700r4wiringwithbrake.jpg.0284fb662676cf991e6ee836e4e6be32.jpg1958771120_700r4wiring.jpg.8bd2f7f6eb131088edaa9e77ad960cae.jpg

• Like 3

Scott thanks for answering but yes the lock up on the transmission is already wired I just need to know where to find a 12VDC wire from the exsisting wiring of the car to hook to the transmission so the lockup will function. 

Fuse block not an option? 

Should be a blade terminal marked IGN but if you you can splice a male end of a blade terminal to the end of the wire you wish to hook to an ignition source and then slide that right next to the end of pretty much any fuse that is on a switched ignition source. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that you want as direct a source as possible.... So as Cbolt (James) suggested, the "IGN" connection on the fuse box is the most preferable. 

15 amp or better is also recommended. As well as placing a switch in the line.... Something to do with the shock of starting/ignition may damage the solenoid. But remember, NEVER drive with the switch off, or the lock up torque will burn out. 

Hope this helps. :)