Restomod?

How much can change in a classic car before it’s considered a restomod?

I have a 1970 350/th350 10 bolt rear 8.2 Not sure if it’s 2 or 4 bolt main

the plan is to get it up to 500hp which I know can’t be be done without pushing that block to its limits,

so I plan to swap it out engine which will lead to transmission, rear brakes and suspension,  because I can’t do one without the others right!!

will this be considered a restomod?

To me, a 'Restomod' would be something that looks like fairly original from the outside, but outfitted with more modern equipment such as EFI, maybe an LS motor (but not mandatory), 4 wheel disc brakes, electronic dash (like Dakota Digital), electronic controlled overdrive transmission, stereo/entertainment upgrades, etc. 

Just adding a hopped up small block Chevy engine & T-400 transmission, not so much.

https://www.bbcamatx.com/classic-cars-what-is-the-difference-in-original-restored-and-resto-mod.html

• Like 4

I think the terms have gotten diluted over the years. 

To me, 

Restored: The car is returned to its original, factory-built state with no modifications, with numbers or date code matching parts (exceptions may be minor or unobtrusive safety or longevity updates, examples of this would be an addition of seat belts in the interior, addition of a passenger mirror not originally equipped, or hardened valve seats in the engine for modern fuel usage). These builds would be done based off of VINs, Trim Tags, data plates, and build sheets for the most factory-correct build possible. 

Restomod/Modified: The car is returned to mostly original state, but has appearance and/or performance modifications that are based off of original style equipment. Examples would be adding non-original but factory available parts or upgrades to paint, interior, or trim, modified factory-style engines or transmissions (larger engines, H/C/I upgrades, exhaust, 4 speed swaps, etc), or swapping drum brakes to disc or non-power to power brakes, adding, power steering that wasn’t originally equipped, etc. These builds would be your average classic car owner looking to upgrade and work with what they have. 

ProTouring: The car is completely modernized. The basic body look is kept, but the engine, transmission, fuel, ignition, and engine management system, steering, suspension, and brakes are all upgraded to those used in modern vehicles, with a strict goal of performance in mind. Usually also paired with heavy interior upgrades and other exterior aero and handling improvements, as well as modern electronic options. These builds would be those looking for performance and handling from a modern car packaged in a classic body, and would often categorize LS/LT swaps, 5/6 speed manual and 4, 6, 8, and 10 speed auto transmissions, EFI and computer control, IFS and 3 link, 4 link, or IRS suspensions, quick ratio boxes or R&P steering, big brake kits, modern wheel and tire profiles, and more. 

IMO, your goal would indeed fall under the Restomod/Modified category. 

• Like 1