Vette eng. & trans MOD

JOHNR

Do you have to have the OEM vette computer to use it in a 72monte? Just had to ask to clarify. Ok now the details How do you add the wiring? and does the A/C pump need to be changed to the serpentine or can you retro the old pulley assy to the newer motor? WHat about the fan shroud? How about the OEM style exhaust system will need to be altered? Any help would be appreciated as I now need to do this.

Thanks

John shifter

John I think you need to give more information . I would be guessing you might want to install the newer LS engine ? Please explain a little more and you might get soem answeres . I think there is at least one member with that setup.

Hey John I need to write tis out in word or something. Hopefully this will explain most of it. If you are putting in an LS engine Im assuming this as you are looking for the computer.

You can use a stock wiring harness from a Vette however you will have to go with the Vette trans as well if you use the stock harness because its set up for an electronic trans you will have to rig up a different shifter mechanism, This is why I when with a 700R4 it has an over drive and no electronics. I went with a VEMS ecu as it is fully tunable. You could go with a mega squirt fuel management system or any one you like you just need a reliable system to fire the plugs and injectors. You will need an F body oil pan for your LS you will need to drop your trans mount back. Your better to go with a serpentine belt system instead if the old stuff as it will cause to many mods needed. I don't have air in mine but you will probably need a newer style compressor for fitment. your rad hoses will need to be custom spliced with aluminum pipe unless there is a full rubber one for this application I don't know about. If you go with the 700r4 trans you will need a spacer to move the fly wheel from the back of the motor. If you use the vette trans you will need a electronic speedo. I redid all my gauges and the dash to fit Autometer but still went with a cable speedo. the tach can be wired through the computer all other gauges can be wired to the comuter and the sending units respectivly. I went with a painless 18 circut wireing system as I wanted all new and it did make wireing the comuter in easier. Hope this helps a bit and gets ya started. Jjs

Sorry forgot about the exhaust and fan shroud. I went with electric fans on a thermostatic control as the new vette motors dont have fans, I ditched the shroud(not needed) the exhaust for those engines should be a nice free flow (mandrell bent if possible) at least 2.1/2" for good exhaust flow. I myself would not use the stock exhaust(too small) The motor mounts are custom pieces available at I think JEGS or lordco Having said all this I think there are some great forums on the web for this and Hot rod has a good article on this swap. Im not sure where but if you search this forum you will find a link to it. Again Good luck eh! Jjs

if you use headers for LS series engines... you should have no exhuast problems.. Edelbrock among others makes specialized mounts to mount the LS to the gen-1 style mount pads