Please help!

FullMonte

Not sure where to put this question, so I will ask it here. In order to put in new gears, I need to know what I have in there now. Can I get that information from the VIN?

All I know for sure is that it is a 71 with open differential and a 10 bolt cover. When I look at Summit they have all manner of options that include diameter, spline, teeth, etc., that just confuse me.

Does anyone know what the specs are on the rear end and what I need to purchase in addition to the ring and pinion? Is everything I normally need included in the set?

Thanks

There should be a code on the axle tube that can help. The "bad" about relying on this is who knows if anyone else has been in there, unless you are the original owner. The best way is to take the rear cover off and start counting teeth. You can also mark the jack the rear end up, mark the drive shaft, turn the tire one full rotation and count how many times the drive shaft turns, i.e. 2 and 3/4 turns probably means you have a 2.73. But that meathod still needs to be confirmed. Hope this gets you started. Big J

Big J (or anyone else)

I inherited the car from my aunt who bought it new off the lot. She was a single, 3rd grade teacher who only drove it back and forth to school (55K miles in 32 years...I swear this is true). I can pretty much guarantee that she did not do anything to the car other than regularly scheduled maintenance, so the code on the axle tube may be the ticket.

Any idea where is the code located exactly and how I decipher the letters/numbers?

Thanks,

George

Usually this code is on the axle tube passenger side. The letters and numbers are very small,less than a 1/4 inch, wipe the axle tube down with some type of solvent while shining a bright light on it. Check the internet for a site that list the codes or maybe someone on this forum has knowledge of them.I have a Chevy by the numbers book so if you find the code post it and I will try and decypher it for you. Good lick, Bob

Now I'm really confused. Looked on the axle tube (driver's side - near the differential). Swear the numbers read 67890. No letters that I can see unless the "6" is a "G" but I don't think so.

Any insights?

Now I'm really confused. Looked on the axle tube (driver's side - near the differential). Swear the numbers read 67890. No letters that I can see unless the "6" is a "G" but I don't think so.

Any insights?

The numbers you are looking for are on the passengers’ side of the differential, on the forward facing surface. Use a scrubbing pad and some simple green to uncover the numbers.