trans speedo help

rpmracer70

Heres a web site that I used I went from a 2:73 to a 3:42 This site will help you make the calculations and tell you what gears you need. and also you will likely need a new driven gear housing as i did because the gear will be to big to fit in the houseing.

www.transmissioncenter.net

i just did the same thing with my 700r4.

do NOT buy the gears from TCI..they are _WAY_ over priced!

check out this post here for more details.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=162231#Post162231

okie dokie.. I ran the #'s thru TCI's calculator (this calc proved 100% accurate for my 700r4 speedo)

the math goes like this

(# of drive teeth) * (axle ratio) * (tire revs per mile)

all of that divided by 1001 (I believe the 1001 comes from the fact that our speedo's want 1000 revs per mile to read acccuratly but I'm not for sure.

tire rev's per mile is calc'd like this:

20168 (divided by) tire diamter in inches.

I know that a 255/60-15 is 27.04" tall (that's what I use)

the options for drive gears are 7, 8, 9,10, and 17 teeth.

the drive gear is the gear on the output shaft.. most likely with 2.73's u have a red drive gear (that's what my th350 and my 700r4 both had and they were right with my 2.73's)

that's 17 teeth..

when u do the math with 17 teeth, it comes out to 52 driven teeth.. they don't make gears that big.

so your options are like this.. left # is drive teeth, right column is driven teeth.

7 - 21.3

8 - 24.439

9 - 27.494

10- 30.549

17- 51.934

looking at the list from the bottom up.. there is no 52, so that's out, there is a huge jump from 22 teeth to 34 teeth in the chart, so basicly, the only practical combination is a 7 tooth drive, and a 21 driven

you will still be a couple mph off.. you might want to call that company I listed above and talk to them about a 'gear box' that can provide exactly the right correction for you.

i forgot to mention, you could also consider changing your tire size a little bit to get it exactly right.

I got lucky with my new 3.55 gears.

it just happened that with the 255/60-15 tires I Was thinking about getting, I could get the speedo dead-on.

if you go down to say a 245/60 that will bring your diameter down a little bit for example. I'm not sure which way you would actully need to go.