Floor Shifter and Bench Seats

TN454Monte

the hardest part will be mounting the shifter too the floor.. most shifters require a flat surface to mount to.. and in a monte. .that just ain't gonna happen.

Here was my solution. (this was a mid-way thru construction pic btw), I built this little raised platform out of 1/8" thick steel stock from the local hardware store, and because my shifter required dimpling the floor to make room for the mechanism (700r4 trans) i opted to weld the bolts to the base, which gave me the clearance I needed and simplified the install.

shifterbase1.jpg

This is what it looks like installed:

shifter.jpg

This image is a full-res pic, so I'll just link to it to spare the dialup folks the misery smile

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/shifterbase2.jpg

Geez Tim, couldn't you have used some long bolts and a stack of washers like everybody else?

I can remember drilling my first hole through my floorboards: as if the idea of an extra hole wasn't bad enough, the drill bit caught the carpeting and wound it up into a big ball on my drill bit until it all seized up and twisted the drill from my hand. (This was back in the days before variable-speed drills, so it was either full speed or nothing). Trying to remove 6.4 miles of wound carpet fiber from a drill bit is a job in itself...and the carpet left in the car was ruined and looked like an unraveled sweater.

I have a set of tubes sharpened at one end that I can put in a drill or hammer through fabric with. You can use an exacto knife or box cutter even, but cut out a small hole in the carpet where you intend to drill...just make sure that the hole is large enough that your drill bit won't grab the edges.

Geez Tim, couldn't you have used some long bolts and a stack of washers like everybody else?

I can remember drilling my first hole through my floorboards: as if the idea of an extra hole wasn't bad enough, the drill bit caught the carpeting and wound it up into a big ball on my drill bit until it all seized up and twisted the drill from my hand. (This was back in the days before variable-speed drills, so it was either full speed or nothing). Trying to remove 6.4 miles of wound carpet fiber from a drill bit is a job in itself...and the carpet left in the car was ruined and looked like an unraveled sweater.

I have a set of tubes sharpened at one end that I can put in a drill or hammer through fabric with. You can use an exacto knife or box cutter even, but cut out a small hole in the carpet where you intend to drill...just make sure that the hole is large enough that your drill bit won't grab the edges.

Holy crap! That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time! Probably because I bet EVERY ONE OF US has done the exact same thing, from the stack of washers, to winding up all of your carpet into one big ball of yarn 3 miles long!

Too funny Mark! lol

Originally Posted By: kc8oye

This is what it looks like installed:

[/img]

Holy Crap. Tim you used a Grommet.....

shhh don't tell anyone!! that's only becauase it came in the box with the shifter lol