Expansion Valve installation Woes................

So I finally got the back side of the large lines to break loose.  After several days of soaking with PB Blaster and Freeze Off and today putting the heat to it after several tries it finally broke loose.  Then it came off easily.  Man, it was frozen on there good!!!  Then I had found an orifice in the lower line of the evaporator and I managed to fish that out of the system as well.  It was stuck in there pretty good but I had a small pair of needle nose that was able to get enough bit on it that after about 10 tries, it finally came out! 

Now, I'm ready to install my POA elminator pipe and expansion valve!  OH NO!!!!  Dammit man!  The Evaporator has a male fitting on the bottom tube instead of the correct female fitting that would have been on the original equipment.  The line from the condensor fit the expansion valve so that one is OK, but sure enough the smaller end has male fitting to male fitting.  Guess I'm going to have to get an adapter pipe or hose made to be able to install the expansion valve.  Lucky for me, there is a shop in town that makes hoses, including A/C hoses and hopefully I can get one there. 

I blew some compressed air through the evaporator to blow out oil in the lines and any debris.  No debris and only a little oil.  Almost there.  I think the POA eliminator fitting will be ok just a matter of bending to tubing enough to clear the hood hinges.  See photo's............ I think the tube at Old Air Products would do the trick just not sure what size the line is?  #6 is 3/8" and #8 is 1/2" tubing.  I think it is #8 1/2".  I'll go measure the OD of the tubing.  But I hope I can just get one made in town tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

20230511_185151.jpg

20230510_144317.jpg

20230511_185254.jpg

20230511_185319.jpg

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Might be worth it to get some A/C flush thru that evaporator, since PAG oil absorbs moisture. Not good for the system as it turns acidic. Or...get a new evaporator that has the correct fittings, already clean and ready to install.

(Note: Dale & I talk on the phone & I keep telling him it's just a matter of time before he has to crack open that HVAC box, but he's been putting up a good fight :k)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Might be worth it to get some A/C flush thru that evaporator, since PAG oil absorbs moisture. Not good for the system as it turns acidic. Or...get a new evaporator that has the correct fittings, already clean and ready to install.

(Note: Dale & I talk on the phone & I keep telling him it's just a matter of time before he has to crack open that HVAC box, but he's been putting up a good fight :k)

Dale, I agree with Joe statements above statement.  I am going to add another reason.... as much tweaking as you have had to do on that PITA POA, trying to break it free, it could be damaged and you don't want to go this far only to have to go back in and replace it if it is damaged or contaminated.  Just my 2 cents.

rob

• Like 4

On 5/12/2023 at 6:24 AM, jft69z said:

I had an adapter made for the expansion valve and a new line from the condenser, making money now right!  But then I got the POA Eliminator cross threaded on the evaporator side I think.  I'm going to try it anyway because after trying to get it in straight for over an hour or so, I think the threads on the POA Eliminator will only start crooked now.  I'm going to see if it will hold vacuum and maybe the O-ring is compressed enough maybe to seal, but I think I'll have to order another POA Eliminator and may have to get an evaporator after all, but we'll see.  For now, I'm ready to move on to the front brakes and shocks so I can get back on the road at least.  Sigh...............

• Sad 1