Still working out the quirks.

Well I got the Monte back into driveable status, but had to redo the Right Rear Brake Line as it developed a leak.  Flaring tool was giving me fits when I did it the first time and it seemed to hold but I spotted a leak the other day so had to redo that.  Good to go now.  Still haven't gotten my speedometer working yet.  I thought the secondary cable to the transmission was broken but it wasn't.  Both ends do look like they have been broken off at the tips, but the cable itself is not broken and it appears that there is enough tip on both ends to engage.  I wish I had a LIFT so I could see better into the transmission but I don't. (YET)  Now I am thinking that it may be the RED gear inside the transmission is either worn out or not turning the white nylon gear.  The white nylon gear that goes to the end of the cable is in tack and seems to have all good teeth on it and should be turning the cable.  NAPA has a new cable for like $15 that I think I will try just to make sure that they are going into the components far enough to engage and it that doesn't fix it, it's got to be in the tailshaft of the tranny.  I really need to get it on a lift for that as my jacks just don't get the car up high enough for me to be able to maneuver around much under it.  If I have to replace the plastic gear in the tranny (TH350 Red Gear) anybody know where I could get one?  I'm in BFE and I really don't have a good Transmission Supply house near me.  Went to get my A/C serviced today but guys backed up for 4 weeks.  However, he told me to bring it back next Friday and he'd squeeze me in.  I looked up the specs on the A/C system in the service manual and it says 3 lbs 12 oz (3.75 lbs) of R-12 and 11 Oz of Refrigerant Oil.  I am assuming that you put the same amount of R-134A as you would R-12 and the compressor came prefilled with 3 oz of Pag150 oil so should only need to add another 8 oz. of PAG150.  That sound right to you guys?

1 hour ago, NavyCPO said:

I am assuming that you put the same amount of R-134A as you would R-12 and the compressor came prefilled with 3 oz of Pag150 oil so should only need to add another 8 oz. of PAG150.  That sound right to you guys?

No, the charge weight of R134a is less than R12. Typically 70-80% less. That puts you between 42 to 48 ounces (vs. 60 oz for R12). Start at 42 ounces and monitor the center vent temperature and pressures. Add an ounce at a time, quit when temp stops getting cooler, or definitely if it gets warmer. See if your A/C place injects dye in there too, it'll help down the road to troubleshoot leaks.

As far as oil, if you've replaced or flushed the entire system (I think you have all new stuff), factory manual (and everywhere else) says to spread the oil around to other components as well:

- 6 oz in compressor

- 3 oz in evaporator

- 1 oz in condenser

- 1 oz in receiver/dryer

There are charts and formulas for refrigerant charge, here is a decent one:

https://www.originalair.com/r12-to-134a-conversion-chart

I forgot Dale, which compressor did you get? Was it a factory replacement A6 type?

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

On 6/15/2023 at 1:48 PM, jft69z said:

No, the charge weight of R134a is less than R12. Typically 70-80% less. That puts you between 42 to 48 ounces (vs. 60 oz for R12). Start at 42 ounces and monitor the center vent temperature and pressures. Add an ounce at a time, quit when temp stops getting cooler, or definitely if it gets warmer. See if your A/C place injects dye in there too, it'll help down the road to troubleshoot leaks.

As far as oil, if you've replaced or flushed the entire system (I think you have all new stuff), factory manual (and everywhere else) says to spread the oil around to other components as well:

- 6 oz in compressor

- 3 oz in evaporator

- 1 oz in condenser

- 1 oz in receiver/dryer

There are charts and formulas for refrigerant charge, here is a decent one:

https://www.originalair.com/r12-to-134a-conversion-chart

I forgot Dale, which compressor did you get? Was it a factory replacement A6 type?

Sorry for the delay, got real busy for a while.  Yes it was a factory replacement A6 from Four Seasons.  I called Four Seasons again and again he explained to me that I only need to add the oil to the compressor.  The reason is that the compressor is the only thing in the system that requires oil.  And this compressor has a built in SUMP to store the oil in.  There is a fill/drain plug on the side of the compressor and there is a hump on the belly of the compressor that is the sump for the oil.  On other systems that do not have compressors with their own sumps, then YES you would add oil to each of the components or into the system lines itself because those systems use the refrigerant to carry the oil through the compressors, but these type compressors do not operate that way and maintain their own oil sump.  I noticed also in the service manual, where it talks about adding the 3 oz and 1 oz and 1 oz etc for other components being replaced, it is all in that section for "Checking Compressor Oil Charge", it's referring to (the way I read it in context) if you change those other components then you add that additional oil to the compressor itself, not the individual components themselves.  That whole paragraph is talking about adding oil to the compressor.  The total oil charge to the A6 Stock compressor should be 11 oz.  The other components don't require oil, only the compressor, so, with the sump, as long as I have 11 oz in the system that should be plenty of oil even if there is some floating through the lines with the refrigerant, althought it's not required.  That's the way it was explained to me and to me that makes sense.

Thank you very much for the r12 to r134a conversion chart that is very helpful!!!!!!

They're the ones warrantying the compressor, so do what they say. Still, they're the only ones that I can remember saying put all the oil in the sump. Everywhere else, including the place that sold me my entire brand new, complete system, said spread the oil around. No biggie, as long as it works.

• Like 2

If my memory serves me correctly it stated to drain the compressor, disperse the oil to different components then manually spin the compressor five or so times. If you leave 11 oz of fluid in the compressor you’re going to blow the seals out of it. This sump thing is new to me. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2023 at 8:40 PM, Dtret said:

If my memory serves me correctly it stated to drain the compressor, disperse the oil to different components then manually spin the compressor five or so times. If you leave 11 oz of fluid in the compressor you’re going to blow the seals out of it. This sump thing is new to me. 

No all of my components are brand new and oil free.  The 11 oz is the only oil in the system now.  3 oz of prefill by Four Seasons and 8 oz added by me for total of 11.  The original compressor had a sump as well.  In Fact mine is an original A6 Remanufactured by Four Seasons.

So I got the A/C serviced today and YAY! it passed the leakdown test, and YAY! it is now getting cold.  It's not blowing as good as it should be though so I think I need to look at the duct box and make sure all the doors are operating like they are supposed to and that I don't have any vacuum leaks etc.  But I am getting cold air out of the vents.  Blower motor sounds like it's working good but I think I'm losing a lot of air in the ducts.  Probably have deteriorated foam etc and maybe some leaky vacuum lines, etc.  But system is working and no leaks on the components I installed.  We think I need to seal up some air leaks around my condenser to get more air flow across it and I may even add an electric fan or two in front to get some more air flow across the condenser but we'll see.  For now I'm happy that the system is working and I do have some A/C.

I received my speedo cable and speedo still does not work.  That means the problem is in the tailshaft of the tranny.  I'll have to pull off the tail shaft housing and inspect to see if the clip is there for the speedo gear and look for something wrong back there.  I've eliminated every thing else.