Muncie 4 speed reverse ?

heartbeat 70 4spd

I just installed my new crate motor,clutch and Muncie 4 speed tranny and purchased a new Hurst competition plus shifter. For some reason, reverse gear is hard to engage and disengage. I have no trouble with 1,2,3 & 4th gears and followed Hurst's installation instructions. My reverse rod lever is difficult to move by hand with the rod off. (reverse lever should be forward in the neutral position) Now there is no oil in the case and the engine has not been turned over yet. I had my friend go thru the Muncie to make sure everything was in good shape prior to putting the tranny in. Any suggestions?

I have the same shifter and have had that same problem for 10 years,a little hard to get in reverse.(rock crusher trans)Tried everything can't figure it out let me know if you fix your's.

Mike

I don't have one now, but if my memory is still good mine seemed that it was always hard to go into reverse. Mine seemed to get better when it was warm, but cold it was tight going into reverse. I don't think it is the shifter, I think it is more a trait of the Muncie

ok had the same problem

i found that a 13/16 drill bit fit with the alining pin for the shifter in the nuteral position and if you allined all the rods to that position then the reverse slightly rearward of that it was easy to pop it into reverse and if you aline the 3/4 gear ahead of the 1/2 rod it was a easy shift to 3rd gear under extreame load in a raceing condition although this was with a bourg warner super t 10

hope this helps with the muncie smile

ohhhhhhh if you shave the door spring and use it in place of the factory spring to laod the shifter for 3/4 gear it will increace the agresiveness to promote the 3rd gear grab

terry

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I could not remember when I last drove the Monte, about 4 years ago, how hard reverse was to engage and disengage. Before I went any further, I wanted to assess whether or not I should dig into the Muncie to see why reverse is so tight! Mike

If I can remember from when I refurbed my M21 in my Elco was that the reverse gear is not synchro'd and is not constant mesh. You must move the gear teeth into mesh, and then past one another, to engage. Combine this with all of the friction in the rest of the shift mechanism in the box and back drive (if you have it hooked up) AND a new shifter, and it may feel kinda tight.

When it's really cold (yeah, even here in SoCal!), my Elco absolutely hates to be shifted into reverse unless I let it roll a little bit. Then it only dislikes it intensely!

Good luck,

Tom