70 MC exhaust tips

Guest MusclecarBob

Guest MusclecarBob

Hello All,

I see on ebay, 70-72 MC exhaust tips

are these correct, there aftermarket vendors of course, not OEM/Factory stuff (like i sell) :-)

Bob,

To the best of my knowledge, the SS was the only FGMC that had exhaust tips and they were rectangular/oval in shape... I should say rectangular with rounded corners because they were neither rectangular or oval...

I guess I'd describe them as being rectangular-shaped with rounded corners. They were the same chrome tips that were also used on the Chevelle SS, and I believe that OEM versions as well as repros are available from parts suppliers.

Dave

Hmmmmm, that's a good question, Bob. I would think that from the factory a dual exhaust system without chrome tips/extensions would be downturned, but I can't say for sure!

The factory style sure looks great, though. My car is probably on its third or fourth exhaust system (the most recent being put on 2 1/2 years ago) and being an SS I put the repro chrome tips on it. Didn't want to spend a lot more money on the OEM ones when they look the same! If I didn't have an SS, but put on a new dual exhaust system, I'd probably still have the pipes straight out the back and with the SS chrome tips. Nothing wrong with adding a little something "extra" and in my opinion you can't beat the factory muscle car look!

The actual car used as a basis for drawing up the FGMCC logo was a beautifully-restored '70 402/4-speed car and it had the SS chrome exhaust tips on it, too. Considering that a lot of people on the site/in the club are interested in performance, I thought it was appropriate to have a factory-appearing, performance oriented Monte represent the club in the logo... so it's got the chrome tips, rally wheels and white letter tires. wink

Dave