Feedback on Comp Cams synthetic blend 10W-30

MCfan

Just looking for feedback on a particular engine oil if anyone has experience good or bad.

At a Veteran's Day car show today, I picked up a 12-quart case of Comp Cams Synthetic Blend 10W-30 Engine Oil for a great price.  The seller had a '66 GTO with a built 461 ci Pontiac motor.  His engine builder advised him to go with the Comp Cams 15W-50 blend instead due to tolerances used in that build. He also races the car frequently, so that is understandable.

I am intrigued by the fact that this product contains zinc, phosphorous, molybdenum and detergent additives and is formulated specifically for older muscle cars or street rods. My 408 BBC was also built (way back in '74) but not to racing tolerances or specs. It has a Sig Erson 396 Hi-Flow hydraulic cam and TRW 11.9:1 forged pistons but it never sees high revs so I doubt I need to continue using 20W-50 oil plus zinc additives. This motor has over 40K miles on it since rebuild and does not smoke or use oil excessively at all.

Just wondering if anyone has personal experience with this particular brand, weight and blend in their first gen Monte or other muscle cars?  Thanks.

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

• Like 3

The only draw back to full synthetic oil is that it will find very small leaks but the 10w30 may not be to bad. The other thing is back in the day when switching from regular oil to synthetic it may use a a quart or so quickly so check oil often if your switching. I like the fact that it has all the additives. Please let us know how it works out for you as it may be another choice to use. I use the lucas hot rod oil now with no problems really. Mine will probably be rebuilt in the next 5000 miles or so.

• Like 2