Tow vehicle brake upgrade

MC1of80

Hello all. This is more for those of us that have older GM trucks. 

I have a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with the front disc, rear drum set up. I have never been totally happy with it's stopping power especially while towing. Even with the power stop drilled and slotted rotors and towing pads. 

Now mind you, with the power stop kit the truck did stop better than stock. 

So I did a little research online and discovered that the 2014 and up fixed 4 piston calipers and 13.5" rotors are a basic bolt on for my truck. Stock rotors are 13". 

People have been raving about this upgrade using stock parts. Well with a little more research I found out that the 2021 tahoe PPV brakes are a direct bolt on just like the 2014 and up brakes

The big difference  is the rotors are 16" and the calipers are a 6 piston design. Turns out the pistons are Brembo but are black and do not say Brembo on the outside. GM sells these as a kit called the big brake upgrade for a hefty price. I got the parts from RockAuto  for half the price! I did paint the calipers red though. Lol

Now mind you they still are expensive, especially the calipers. I used all factory parts except for the pads. I used the power stop towing pads.

Well I have to say, once bedded in these things are amazing! Around town and highway brake pedal effort is almost nill. The biggest difference was where I was mostly concerned.... Towing. No more worries there. OMG! Night and day difference. I highly recommend this set up or at least the 2014 4 piston set up. (Which is about 1/2 the price of the PPV set up. 

Also, you do not have to change anything else in the brake system. Not the master, proportioning valve or anything like that. Bolt on and go! Sweet indeed! 

I did the swap in May and have no regrets. 

First pic is the stock set up looking through the wheel.

2nd pic is a mock up. Make sure all will fit withe the wheel. My truck has 20" rims.

The rest speak for themselves. Lol

PXL_20230802_161750584.jpg

PXL_20230802_163703127.jpg

PXL_20230802_183634793.jpg

PXL_20230803_191215156.jpg

PXL_20230803_213240770.jpg

• Like 7

My 11 Silverado 2500 has 4 wheel disc I did upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors.  Did the back first no great difference but when I did front yes made a difference.  I'm happy with it. I pull a 7000 trailer with it and Definitely like the difference. 

• Like 2