Polygraphite bushings: opinions welcome

I’ve been researching bushings and have been leaning toward PSTs Polygraphite. They still have to be lubed, but according to PST they are less prone to squeaking than polyurethane. Does anyone have any  experience with them? I’ve also checked Ridetechs Delrin bushings that don’t require any lubrication. Unfortunately because they don’t make them in the oval style, I’d need to change  my lower control arms to the round type and I really don’t want to. Opinions welcome. Thank You.                                             By the way Joe, I’m going with the Bilsteins. I see some carry them in black.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

i have used and prefer the polygraphite enumerable times and and found them superior to reduce noise. I hate squeaking noises as did our customers. no history of Delrin, our volvo line preferred polygraphite to reduce customer noise complaints.  but on my many years with GM I would suggest when possible to replace with polygraphite.  

Great to hear I appreciate your opinion. Im going that route. I’m starting with the rears then will  work my way to the fronts. Ordering the bushings today. Then the inserts to box the trailing arms along with a rear sway bar shortly. The Bilsteins came in about a week ago. Being on a fixed income now, I have to watch what I spend. Won’t start the project until I have all I need. I treat all my projects like this. I’ll research the crap out of it and get others thoughts on the subject before taking them on. 

• Like 2

fully undertsand the fixed income deal. i'm in that club too.  I think you'll be very satisfied with the polygraphite  decision.  can't say all my decisions were well researched, ha ha. I have been married for 34 years. oops I think I texted out loud. and Bilsteins are a great choice. My 70 "sin city" at home in Illinois needs new front springs and all the bushings,too  going your way also.  rebuilt the rear many years ago with polygraphite and still quiet and very satisfactory. went with moog springs, high energy bushings and monroe shocks.  but would have preferred bilsteins.    nice job, great upgrade and good luck mark         

• Like 1

Years ago I replaced all my ft end with Red Polyurethane  bushings. I think the squeaking started about 3 years later and still hasn't stopped.

I think this is the first time I have heard of polygraphite bushings. THANKS!!

I can make mine squeak with one finger pressing on the fender or hood. 

Keep us up to date on where and how much they cost.

• Like 1

Energy Suspension makes the polygraphite bushings for PST. For front and rear they are about $60 less and the part numbers are almost identical. I’ll call Jegs tomorrow to see if I can confirm they are the same part.  Otherwise I’ll order from PST. Rear/$159, front/$129.

• Like 1

hello stangeba   my 70 ss does exactly the same thing.  but it's all original. I know the upper control arm bushings need replaced. springs weak. I did the rear many years ago with polygraphite and no problems or noises, other than tires burning out! ha ha.   god I hate that noise. as time isn't on my side, going to try and get to that this summer with help from my sons.  know that I rattle on but with only a year prognosis I figure what the hell eh! going with polygraphite.

• Like 1

Called Jegs today, and confirmed that according to Energy Suspensions info, some of their bushings contain graphite but not the red due to the color. I then got on a chat with Energies tech support, see photo. Jegs part number for the rears is 355(denotes Energy Suspension)-3-3132G, the G Is for black. Why would they use G for black and not B, when they use R for red?  Wondering if the G is for graphite. PST Polygraphites number is POLY33132. Just speculating here but from Energies response it seems  like maybe they’re using the graphite to color the  black bushings. Took a chance and ordered the Energies along with their special lube from Jegs. I’ll compare them with some  Polygraphites I received awhile ago for the leafs on my 69 Camaro. Hope this isn’t too confusing just to save the $40 difference. I’ve been accused of overthinking things.

IMG_1572.png

• Like 3