1972 shifting problem

Check your cable from the carb to the tranny to be sure it isn't sticking or hanging up and keeping the tranny in passing gear. Check the vacuum line from the vacuum modulator to the engine. Hose on each end of the hard line. Vacuum leaks will cause delayed and/or hard shifting. If you find ANY tranny fluid in this line, the modulator is bad. Also, if you haven't changed the filter and fluid in a while, it probably wouldn't hurt. wink

• 3 weeks later...

ok, I can approach this from two angles.

1) it shouln't use 3rd at all when it's floored, that's what the kick-down cable is all about. (at least not until you are doing 90-100 or so)

2) if you mean it won't kick down into 2nd when you floor it that could be a mis-adjusted kickdown cable (I went around in a circles a few times with this on my own th350)

what RPM are you doing at say, 45mph? w/o a kick down cable working, you may well be shifting into 2nd at about 10 mph or so, and not feeling it (mine was like this)

and obviously, it won't kick down.

if you don't have a tach, you can get a cheap one for $10-$20 and they only require 3 wires to hook up (4 if you want it to light up)

hi i have a 1972 monte with a th350 and it sometimes doesnt shift into third even when i floor it. Any tips? thanks