Truck Turbo 400

Guest dieseldust

Guest dieseldust

Well i have been searching and finally got a T400 to replace my Burned up one mad, i did get one for 50 bucks smile that came out of a 78 dually 454, only has 15000 miles on it and a rebuild tag on it and paper work to back it up,my question is since it is a truck trans it has a yoke with 4 bolts that hold it on , what do i have to do to switch it over it over to my slip joint on my car.

Work in Progress grin

James

Cheers

Guest dieseldust

Dont know yet Ian i just got the tranny home today and i will find out on the weekend.I have never played around with swapping parts on transmisions smile

James

I think all the TH400's had the same gear ratio's I have taken the bolt-on yokes out and not put a bolt back in it, and even if it did leak it would be behind the seal...

All turbo 400 have the same gear ratio. Some heavy duty 400's are actually turbo 425's and have straight cut gears. The issue is the bolt on yoke. The bolt on yoke 400's output shaft is made so the yoke bottoms out at the rear of the splines, if you use a regular slip yoke it may bottom out where the stop is and cause issues with driveshaft travel. I tried to use a truck trans and had to change out the 400's output shaft. Rick Miller (montecrazy) had a drive shaft made with a slip joint. I think you can get a special trans yoke to use a 400 with a bolt on yoke. good luck

Guest dieseldust

Well the old tranny came out today, and i have decided to pull the engine also , half way there acually easier to pull the engine now that the trannys out so why not, going to go thru it and check the big block out change the cam and lifters, change the intake and maybe throw my holley 750 on it , lots of fun and i do mean that , its great to get back into doing this stuff again and to a 70 Monte even makes it that much better.

James