Overdrive transmission

bdk70monte

I am running a Bowtie overdrive 200-4R stage 3 with a 2800 RPM converter from them also. This is behind a 400 small block. I run a 4.10 gear. This keeps the car just like when I had the TH350 in, but with the overdrive bonus. I would put my engine up against a similar sized big block any day. Dyno'd, my setup does 375HP/388TQ at the wheels. I had a few minor setup issues with the trans install, and nothing major has gone wrong so far. I did have heat issues, and needed a large cooler in the radiator and a Huges deep aluminum pan with cooling fins. Now it runs nice and cool. I did not want to go with a 700-R4 for the reasons mentioned, driveshaft, mounting, and the low 1st gear. With my setup, I have enough torque that it would make low gear just for a quick tire spin. I had problems hooking up with 10" drag slicks and the TH350, and couldn't leave the line above 1500 RPMs on the track...didn't want to make that situation any worse.

Royce and Davey, never said I didn't like ALL crate engine builders. There are some quality builders putting out quality crate engines. AGAIN, generally speaking, I think when most people look for a crate engine, they focus on $$$ first and worry about the quality of peripheril parts beyond the rotating assembly later. Ah forget it. I am not explaining myself any further. It isn't worth it. - Dave

Dave, come on, it was just a joke Bud. I bought one of the General's crate motor because at the time I was new to the area and didn't have any network or resources to pull from. It was a known commodity that had a fairly good rep for a street motor. It was not a cheap alternative but it was complete from flexplate to carb so it met my needs. It has pretty good internals and 6 years/8000 miles later I don't think there are any clearance issues remaining.

Then my wife enabled me and I decided to go back to something I love, racing. I've now tried to make the best out of what I have but if I had the money I would certainly want to build something. If the car is going to be soley on the street then a quality crate motor may be a very good option.

There is nothing like building a motor and seeing the results, very gratifying..(if it works grin).......Dave

I have all of my stuff in order with the tranny now. I'll be using a 200-4R out of an 85 Monte SS. I did some research and ended up going with parts from Jake's Perfomance Transmission out of Texas. I spoke with Jake personally and discussed my current and future set up. He knows his stuff. So I went ahead and got his master kit for the 200, which includes all of the hard parts that you need along with other upgrades. I also went ahead and got the billet forward drum since he said that's one of the first points of failure in the hard parts in his experience. Good guy to deal with if any of you need parts and/or info.

Being in Michigan, I looked around and found a trans shop that seems to be a good place to get it rebuilt. It's Transmissions Unlimited in Utica. Anyone familiar with them? They seemed to be a good chice since they deal with 200-4Rs a lot as well as classic cars. So they'll know what I need the tranny to be set up for. I'm hoping to get something scheduled with them in the near future to get the tranny rebuilt. I'm looking forward to getting it back so I can get it installed in time for spring cruisin here as the weather starts to break up north wink

For the minimal added cost I'd opt for the level three for the added piece of mind. Heck if Bowtie was my go to company I'd get the level 4 and tell them to throw everything they have at it and sleep very well at night, but I believe in overkill. You can't have too much insurance.

You don't have to have 500+HP at the wheels to be going the way of overkill it's about survival. Just good enough usually results in a failure down the road as you will either have a hickup somewhere, or you will ad more power somehow and then presto you just set off a grenade inside your tranny. Believe who you want, but I for one can't afford to build new tranny's every couple years.