Vacuum modulator question

zeusdude

Here I go with another tranny question

I just purchased a new vacuum modulator for the th350. The old one was large non adjustable type ,new one is smaller adjustable type. I also just installed B&M shift improver kit.

Question is which modulator is going to give best results? and what is proper way to adjust??

Should I test drive with old modulator first or just jump into the new one with nothing to compare shifting to?

I also found a forum that mentions different color stripes on the new modulator(pink,red,and green)they say red is the one to get ....WHY?

Here is thread

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/transmissions-drivetrain/300507-th350-vacuum-modulator-non.html

Mike

I believe the larger ones shift softer due to them engaging more slowly. I have no idea about the stripes though. Hopefully somebody else knows about them!

a larger one might respond better to an engine with low vaccum (big cam) from the larger diaphragm area. generally speaking tho, there is only one adjustable type that I know of, mine does not have stripes.

best thing to do, is just jump in with the new modulator and see how it shifts, if you don't like it, change it. there's room enough to get to it with it installedd

when I installed mine, I turned the screw all the way in, and back out two full turns... it shifts like a MUTHA! it will burn the tires going into 2nd @ full throttle if I manually shift. and gives me a very satisfying bark most other times at full pedal ..and extremely firm shifts at part throttle.

the only mods to my trans are .. well you can't know about them. suffice to say, the only thing that would matter in this discussion is very slightly higher line pressure smile

Look inside the new unit vaccum fitting hole & see if it has a very small screw inside it, If it does it's adjustable by moving screw. Later Bob