496 stroker kit

BigBlockMonte

Hey guys.

I just got offered a deal on a stroker kit. I wanted to ask here first, if I were to consider this deal. Would I be able to use this with my current heads and cam, or would I have to start from scratch. Dont quote me but I think this is the one here. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SCA%2D1%2D91505BI%2D60&autoview=sku

I have the 6272292 heads

comp cam here: http://www.compperformancegroupstores.co...=MARKIVCAMHFTXE

edelbrock performer 2.0 intake, and edelbrock 750 carb

Thank you in advance

It would be a torque monster with your components.

That is a cast crank don't expect to spin it too hard.

It says it is inernal balanced so you will need a neutral balance ring gear and harmonic balancer.

I agree with Allan 100%. The "on the cheap for the street" mentality yields cheap results that never last. Just look around here and you will find folks who have done things on the cheap and then they come back later looking for help when their cheap setup went south.

its sounding to me that this kit is junk and I shouldn't get it. That's fine, I didn't realize it was cheap. What I may do is try and find a 454 4 bolt main bare block and SLOWLY!!! build it up, I would come here to get the right combo.

I was also offered on a seperate deal a set of edelbrock aluminum oval port heads. How do you guys feel about them replacing my current heads, and getting a different camshaft? Thanks

Street car mainly, but I have the itch to go to the drag strip, I would like to be around mid 12's with car.

I didn't mean to imply that that kit was cheap either. Unless someone has really done their homework these all inclusive packages that are out there can come up short. IMHO Eddy heads are just ok if they are the RPM ones. If they are used by the time you spend the money to freshen them up you can just about bolt on a new set of aluminum heads unless you get them way below market value. My gut is that your current cam won't be up to the task for these heads you are looking at. If you go this route DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy an off the shelf cam kit. At the minimum you need a cam, springs, and retainers designed specifically for your application. You can buy your cam from who you like, but make sure the guy who you talk to on the other end is a pro and not some kid reading off a product sheet. If you have not already switched over to a roller cam/lifters I highly recommend it. Not so for power, but less friction will mean longer life. The same would apply for your rockers as well. See how fast this all starts adding up. If you ultimately decide to start from scratch I recommend you base your new engine build around a late model MKVI truck block. It's a roller block that is 4-bolt main and has a one piece rear seal. As far as new heads go there are lot's of choices, but IMHO a set of AFR 305 as cast, or 315CNC ported heads will blow you away. I have the CNC version. With AFR you can throw out the window what everyone has told you about oval port vs square port heads. These heads are torque monsters right off the line and on my engine pull like a freight train through at least 6,500rpm's. They are pricey, but the 315 version may be the last set of heads you ever buy. I say this time and time again, but go overkill. Strength wise build it like you are going bracket racing every weekend. That way ten years from now you will still be driving it on the street beating the piss out of it. FORGED everything is the only way to go and as it pertains to steel 4340 is the only way. The nay sayers will be here soon telling you I'm full of hot air, but guys like Allan, Bill, Dave, and myself will steer you straight. Go luck to you sir.

Very funny Allan. I looked at the link to the RPM Stroker kit and don't like rods. My 489 has 6.385" length rods with a 4.25" stroke crankshaft. Have you ever seen a any Scat crankshaft up close? They aren't made all that well. I should know as I own one and when I switch I'll either be going Callies, or Eagle. A Callies Compustar crank runs about the same money as a Eagle 4340 ESP crank. Compustars are a breeze to balance. As far as rods go I'd go with Eagle H-beam. Pistons are all in what you like for the service they are used for. Personally I prefer Weisco as do most hardcore folks. I personally wouldn't punch all the way out to a 496. If you stay at 489 you have room to grow down the road and the performance gains using identical parts is not that much and you end up spending a lot more money. With a 496 let's not even get started on side load stress factors. I'll say one last thing and then I'm out. I'd recommend staying away from total seal gapless rings. File to fit is always the best way to go. Lot's of varibles and lot's to consider when building a big block. I've seen to many guys with one who built it on the cheap and got there tail kicked by a hardcore small block that was built right from the get go. Peace out.