Another Tranny question

Hello guys,

Got some good info on here yesterday about my transmission but wanted to ask because this is such a big investment...

Anyone know of any good transmission shops in or around the Chicago area? I am asking because I have recieved estimates that range from $500 all the way up to $825 + on rebuilding what I already have and since I am no transmission expert I would rather take the advice of someone that has had this done before.

Any advice would be great.

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin,

If you are feeling real adventurous, you might want to consider rebuilding the transmission yourself. Now I know what you are thinking. This will be too difficult and I've never done one myself. These were my concerns when I rebuilt mine last year. I decided to just go ahead and give it a shot. I bought a book for around $20 that was excellent. I also located several trans parts shops on the internet with all of the parts you might need. To make a long story short, it cost me $20 for the book and about $200 for all new performance parts with a shift kit. It took me several months to get it all done but I was not in a rush because it was kind of a winter project anyway. I had a great time and learned an awful lot. Anyway, if you decide to consider it let me know. I can suggest a great book with lots of good instruction and pictures, I have lots of self-taken notes and pictures and I can let you know who to contact for parts. Good luck.

Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike. I am going to try to rebuild the engine and think that is a huge undertaking in and of itself so I think I will just let a professional handle the transmission.

That leads me to my next question...any good book recommendations for rebuilding a SB 350? I am pretty sure I can do it, just never have done one...

Tranny rebuild..........It is simple to do, depending on what perf rebuild kit or stock kit you get could range from $150.oo (stock) to around $300.oo for a descent perf. heavy duty kit and thats without any "hard parts".

But you know if you get hung up on anything this is the place to ask ?'s

Kelvin,

Call Atomic Transmission in Villa Park and ask for Gordon. 630-832-1034. Located on the north side of North Ave.

I have known Gordon for 10 years and if I don't work on my car, he does. He used to work just 1.5 miles from where I live but moved closer to home 2 years ago (sad day). A trans expert. Several fellas in the Chevelle club have had problems from other shops and taken it to him and after 4 years of hard racing on Route 66 and Union Grove, no problems. One fella went through 3 rebuilds prior to going to Gordon. Tell him George Primm referred you.

As in your previous tranny question...I see your going with a 350 Small block. Depending on the power its going to have if it ain't more than around 350 Horsepower. It will be fine to go with a 350 Turbo.

But as I said before the choice is really up to you.

400? or 350? or 700R4

All great choices for a Small block chevy.

smilefgmcc