Anyone using Ford Type F fluid?

Years ago, I remember hearing that B&M trick shift trans fluid was identical to Ford Type F. Apparantly Type F has some additives in it that causes the clutches to grab harder and slip less than GM Dexron fluid. I also remember hearing that Type F was superior (due to it's additive package) to Dexron.

Have any of you guys been using Type F in your Monte's? Do you like it better than Dexron? Thanks.

For what it's worth, I have always used it in my th350s, simply because B&M recommends it's use with their rebuild kits. I can't say if it's better or worse than dextron etc, but it seems to do well. I have never had any problems or tranny failures. The transmissions are usually rebuilt every 3 years or so, and they have always looked good inside. Dextron may do the same thing, I don't know.

Here is something I found on another internet forum by a google search:

http://groups.msn.com/TheWorldOfDuckusCr...D_Message=10551

"This was something that I remembered from way back when..... A cheap performance upgrade. I have done some research and found out that B&M trick fluid is VERY similar to type F without the added "name" cost.

Another "world" I belong to, I posted the same concern and got this response back:

Boy ill tell ya Ted... i just did this to my fresh turbo 350....and it made a world of difference...it shifts hard but not a bad hard.. its more of a firm shift since the type f doesnt slip as much...

In my opinion type F is the same as B&M's trick shift... i didn't feel and difference between the two except Type F is about 3 bucks cheaper...

P.s. heres a little food for thought...

The two fluid systems THEORETICALLY take different approaches to provide soft shifts for Ma and Pa. GM's approach is to drill large orifices and use Dexron fluid which has the property to get 'slipperier' as clutch speed slows down on engagement down to soften shifts. Ford on the other hand drills small orifices and uses type F fluid which gets "stickier" as the clutches slow down but get soft shifts due the the orifice restrictions. Thus if you use type F in a GM tranny, the large orifices and sticky fluid should result in quicker clutch apply and less slippage. In fact, B&M's SlickShift is basically Type F fluid with some magic elixir additions and a different dye color. Use Dexron in a Ford, on the other hand, and the slick fluid and small orifices supposedly results in exaggerated clutch slippage and quick demolition of the tranny."

When I looked into this years I ago, I seem to remember that the clutch material that Ford used (organic?) was different than what GM used; so Type F had friction increasing additives that were required for Ford's clutch material.

• 2 weeks later...

Pull the pan and drain it for awhile, then remove the TC plug (if equipped)and drain it also. It may take an additional fill/drive and drain if you need immediate swap. It's kind of expensive AND a waste of fluid, but unless you tear the tranny out/ down it's about the only way to swap fluids.