trans brake

Sam (Bones)

Bones try the tranny brake, some racers like it some don't, my avg. F.B. reaction time is .030 - .035 but I've always raced all my cars with F.B. only, just don't RPM it to the trees before you launch it and you will be fine.

Bones it sounds like you have the same problem I had when I was racing a vortec headed 355 82 camero with 3:73 gears running low to mid 12's, my 60' time with the camaro was around 1.60 to 1.65 the problem was I couldn't launch right off the last yellow our i would red light, so I tried making my self just hesitate after the last yellow and man my reaction times were every where, this sounds stupid but it worked great, just when the last yellow light would come on I wood make my self hick up then launch the car, I know it sounds dumb but after a little practice doing this my reaction times were pretty consistent .025 .035ish range. cool

I was trying to time it so I would just jump the yellow a smiggin, that's why I'll try to stage a little deeper and leave on the yellow, but if I do the tweeks I want to the car, I'll have to start from scratch :P

sam BB

i have a trans brake in my 68 firebird with a 454 and a powerglide (runs 10.50s) the car only weighs in at 2600 lbs though. the trans brake locks the trans in fwd and reverse at the same time, so you can stall the converter and not preolad the suspension. Let me tell you, the first time i used it on a sticky track, i let go of that button and thought the world was coming to an end. it was like being rearended by a bus. in a lighter car i think its the best thing since sliced bread. but in a monte, close to 4000 lbs with driver, i think its a recipe for disaster with a stock driveshaft, u-joints and rear end.

Sam... Do you have 1350 series u-joints? I was wondering about the shock on the joints myself, at least with the foot break theres already pressure on them (no shock).

Sam, go for it! Start out at the same rpm's you FB it at and work your way up if you want. I did it with mine for several years. The u joints loosen up faster than normal but it makes the suspension work so much better.

Don

Hi Don,

how's it going, good to see you, thanks, check out the "oh yea lets race" topic in the general forum, I have a game plan but may have to wait, I have a great combo to use wink thank-you, but this is adding up to some big $$$, I'll have to play-it by ear, need to sell my edelbrock heads first, then do the combo,(can't wait) eek

Sam