Strengthening current rear setup

monte0

I had a 9" built for my monte a few years back before the repaint I had done. Just currently started driving it the last few weeks after finally getting it done and drivable. Noticed after a few days the rear was whining only at certain rpm's, so I checked the fluid (whith was full) and found the pinion seal leaking, along with the left axle seal leaking metallic gear fluid too. This got me worried since their only 6k on this rear.

Pulled the center section/ axles out to find the fluid was pretty contaminated. Inspected the gears and theirs no visible damage or heavy wear. Their was a high amount of play though, in the lash of the gears. Also the seals in the tubes were chewed up a tad (guessing the debris in the fluid caused it). Axle bearings seemed ok.

My question is what should I do and where is the metallic contamination coming from? Is the locker at fault?

Specs. of the housing is 9" with all GM brackets and c-clip eliminators, 3.50 gears, detroit locker, nodular iron center with aluminum bearing casing.

Sounds like your lash isn't set right and creating extra wear (even though nothing is visible). I would go back and check the lash again to make sure it's within tolerance for your 9 inch. I believe for a 12 bolt the lash should be no more than .009.

Steve

Pulled it apart and everything looks to be ok. The pinion seal is toast(and I'm sure the bearing is too), the ring gears look good visually (looks like it's just broken in) besides the backlash being loss. Axle bearing feel ok. Can't find a definite place the debris in my fluid is coming from. Could it be coming from the locker setup??

Also, is their supposed to be a lip seal in the axle tub along with the O-ring seal?

Called Eaton and they said don't reinstall the clips, not needed. Looks like I'm going to do a gear change while I'm in their and a freshen up too.