4L60 Conversion - Linkage/ Rod question

Todd's 1972

Hello, I swapped in a 4L60 tranny into the Carlo and I am having difficulty adjusting the original shifter linkage so that I can use all four forward gears. I am finding there is not enough ajustment available when using the original shifter rods and linkage. I was thinking I should extend the arm length 1-2 inches to allow for more movement. Has anyone encounter this situation and if so did you swap in a different rod and linkage assembly or did you modify the original parts. wink

Any help would be appreciated

Hey Hey

Todd what year trans did you get and what other thing went wrong to get it in .I have a 94 chevy truck with I think is the 700r? I have been told that the one I want to go in to the Monte becase you don't have to play with the TV cable to get to shift? I will be uesing a floor shift so I don't have a linkage problem

Dave

Todd, I adjusted shifting rod so that when selecting "D" on quadrant trans was in overdrive. One click down and car was in drive/3rd gear. P, R & N remained the same. Of course, I'm reinstalling the TH350, but that's a completely different story. Ed

Todd ... do you have the factory floorshift for the automatic or we dealing with column shift?

when swapping to a 700R4/4L60 there is a difference in the shifter degree of rotation needed to make a gear selector change.

if you have the floor shift,there is kit which has the proper shift detents.this kit is for the actuall shifter assy on the floor.

with the floorshift if you have the backdrive for the neutral saftey switch , you can leave the crosshaft out . but then you have to be sure you leave the shifter bowl on the column in the park position .

with the column shift OR the back drive assy in place , the crosshaft is the problem.

if you have a crosshaft from a later model car or truck which came with a R4200 ,R4700/4L60 many of them will fit the Monte. PROBLEM solved.if not the original can be modified .

the PROBLEM is the length of the arm on the crosshaft is to short .where the original rod from the steering column mounts is 2 9/16 inches from center of crosshaft to center of rod mounting hole .for the 700R4/4L60 the measurement should be 2 11/16 . yep 1/8 inch longer throw on the crosshaft should fix your problem . also if you use a 700R4/4L60 crosshaft or make a longer arm it will correct the backdrive linkage as well if your running a Horseshoe shifter and want the steering wheel lockout to work .

i made a small plate adapter which i bolted onto my original crosshaft.i hope this is not to confusing .i can try and get a picture to email to you if you would like.

mike

Grease, a pix would be great if you have the time. I am running a column shifter on the car. The cross shaft that you are talking about is it the shaft from the tranny linkage to the knuckel on the inside of the frame? Or is it the shaft on the end of your column? I assume you are talking about the linkage from the tranny just to be sure we are on the same page. confused

Would you know what years of vehicles that came with the 2 11/16th linkage arm? Ex. 90ish Caprices, 3rd gen Montes and Regals or late 80's pickups? I may try and lengthen my arm like you suggested with a homemade adapter. I like to thank you for your help.

Dave the tranny I put in is out of a 91 Chev P/U. It is a 4L60 and I had to modify the tranny mount. I cut the old mount off and lowered it by about 2-3 inches with a piece of C channel. I also had to shorten the drive shaft a couple of inches. I have yet to drive the car so hopefully it will shift nice. I wired up the lock up converter to the brake pedal circuit and the tranny shop modified the tranny so it only has 4th gear lock up. Otherwise, it would lock up in every gear. I will keep you posted. smile

With the 4L60 and 700 R4 the torque converter has what they call a lock up stage that drops the engine RPM when you reach a crusin speed. I can't remember how many RPMs it drops possibly 400-600 RPM which helps with fuel economy. The lock up solenoid (TCC Solenoid I think)in the transmission requires 12 V DC to activate it and if it is not wired in you loose the lock up option and the tranny ends up having hard up and down shift patterns. (Not good and you will likely cook the converter/tranny) The reason it is wired through the brake switch is when you are cruisin along the high way and you hit the brakes it cuts the 12 V to the solenoid to raise the RPM's back up and/or to provide a smooth down shift. Some people use a hard wired switch instead of the brake switch. Once you reach highway speed they flip the switch and supply 12 V to the solenoid. The the lock up engages and drops the RPM. However, when you slow down or drive in the city you have to manually turn the switch off so the tranny doesn't try and go into lockup. A bit of a pain in the @ss so that is why I opted for the brake switch. Hope that helps. Other may have a better description. cool

4l60 or 4l60e? the E version requires a computer for the shift points. Datadave...it was my impression 94 and up trucks have the 4l60E trans which does away with the T.V cable.

Also for the life of me I cannot remember which mag i read it in but Todd's description on what to do about the shift linkage is very similar to what I remember reading.

I installed a 700r in the monte and used a caprice (91 year) brake switch to allow for the lock-up. From the salvage yard i was able to get the switch and the plugs with a few inches of wire. had no issues putting it together in the monte. Also you can tell if you locking/unlocking by slowly accelerating and then lightly press the brake pedal just enough to cause the brake lights to come on but not enough to apply the brakes and with a tach you should see an 300-400 rpm jump. when you let off the rpms should return to previous rpm prior to braking. This indicates your torque convertor is locking/unlocking correctly. Shiftworks.com i believe sells the console shift conversion and i'm not sure about the column shift.

Todd I swapped out to a 2004R and used shims behing the mounting plate on the frame to tranny cross shaft. I now have all 4 gear sections. I also went with a one wire kit that allows only lock up in 4th gear and will drop out of lock up when vacumm drops below 8 inchs (Accelarating)