Slicks

Chevyss

Just starting out, what combo would you use for wheels and slicks?? You see so many different combos it's hard to make a choice. With the 700R4 and a 3.73 gear there must be a formula that would give you a tire that you should use.

Thanks in advance

I have never run true slicks but have run M/T ET streets,26x10.5 Hoosier QTP 27x 10.5 both on 15x8 4.5" BS Weld Draglites. Switched to DR First set M&H 275/60-15 which worked well. Then went to 275/60-15 M/T. Both of these were mounted on 15x8 Weld draglites w/ 5.5 BS. These work well once you figure out the tire pressures. I like the D/R's because of the stability they provide at the big end.

David

i use 26x10-15 slicks on 15x8's with i think 5" bs. MT ET Drag's.. I run them at 15psi sometiemes the right side a little lower since my posi is fork'd right now.

i got that size because that's what I happened into a good deal on. my street tires are roughly 27x10 (255/60-15) so they're close enough. my speedo reads a touch fast on them.. but I have no problems with stability on the top end.. but then, I only run 14.2's @ 95ish mph

I run Hoosier Quick Time Pro's at 27 x 11.50 x 15. The rims are 15x8 with 5" bs. Once these are burned up, I will be going to aleast a 28" tall tire, maybe 29". - Dave

Just starting out, what combo would you use for wheels and slicks?? You see so many different combos it's hard to make a choice. With the 700R4 and a 3.73 gear there must be a formula that would give you a tire that you should use.

I don't know of a calculator...but I would say roughly your 3.06 first gear and 3.73 rear gear would accelerate like my car...I have a 2.48 first gear and a 4.11 rear gear.

I run a Mickey Thompson 28 x 10.5-15 tire. This is a true 28" tall slick, I know your 325 is supposed to measure 28" but is actually just under that. I run the stiff sidewall version, the S after the part number designates that.

Royce, are you looking to match the new wheels with the ones on your car already?

If so the ones I use are Centerline Auto Drag. These are just like your billet ones but these ones are forged (much lighter). If you got those 325's to fit then these will fit your car with that tire I listed. The rim may have an extra 1/2" width than your existing 8" and the b.s. may be just under the 5" you have now but the slick has a slightly less of a sidewall so it's all good.

this is why I picked the 700r4 over the 200-4r.... that 3.06:1 1st gear is awesome for launching a 4000lb monte from a stand still :>

Thanks Bill and Tim;

It sounds like the M/Ts are the way to go. Not sure I'm going to go with Centerline again. After what I went through last year with Centerline, I'm not much of a fan. Maybe I can get a better deal with Summit. Over the winter I will be doing everything I can to get prepared for 2010 season.

I run a Mickey Thompson 28 x 10.5-15 tire. This is a true 28" tall slick, I know your 325 is supposed to measure 28" but is actually just under that. I run the stiff sidewall version, the S after the part number designates that.

X2

I know my car is a Camaro...but I run the M/T ET Drag 28x10.5S (stiff sidewall) with 16lbs of air

Scott

Thanks Scott, seems that the M/T is the way to go. 28x10.5s stiff wall will probably be the way I will go. Now just to come up with the right wheel. Bill made a post with the wheels that he uses. Got plenty of time to get it all ready for next year.

Thanks Scott, seems that the M/T is the way to go. 28x10.5s stiff wall will probably be the way I will go. Now just to come up with the right wheel. Bill made a post with the wheels that he uses. Got plenty of time to get it all ready for next year.

Royce, when you're ready to do the slicks Summit has a nice template for placing the rim screws. You can do up to 16 but I did 8 outside and 8 inside. I think the M/T's require tubes so this is a must, mine haven't moved on the rim at 13 lbs....Davey

I put 12 screws on each side and if I had to do it again I would use a template...mine are laid out perfectly but it took way to long to get it that way when you can just lay a template on it.

I run tubes in mine but there a lot of people here that don't.

Summit / Jegs sells rim screws (I went with Moroso) - I have 8 on the outside and 8 on the inside. Since its a slick and only used when I go the track I have no tubes. I used tubes when I had the ET Streets which were on the car for the street and track

Scott

One of the reasons I run tubes is the fact I have driven it on the street to car cruises with the slicks on, also to the track... whistle

if you run with tubes you must screw them down, if they slip you'll rip the stems out and that is not good. I put a dot of dialrite on the tire at the stem point to check after every run....Davey

if you run with tubes you must screw them down, if they slip you'll rip the stems out and that is not good.

ditto

I forgot to point that out.