Rear Lug Nuts Feel Wrong?

BuffaloBillPatri

Front Centerline wheels feel normal.

On rear, same Centerline wheels, Strange axles with 1/2" grade 8 bolts for studs (McMaster Carr).

Rear Lug nuts (Gorilla Acorn type) feel wrong. Each time I go around I can tighten some more, in 50ftlb range.

I have tried washers on lug studs between axle & wheels, no help.

Are the lug bolts are stretching??

BBP

Front Centerline wheels feel normal.

On rear, same Centerline wheels, Strange axles with 1/2" grade 8 bolts for studs (McMaster Carr).

Rear Lug nuts (Gorilla Acorn type) feel wrong. Each time I go around I can tighten some more, in 50ftlb range.

I have tried washers on lug studs between axle & wheels, no help.

Are the lug bolts are stretching??

BBP

Something doesn't seem right if all the lug nuts feel wrong. Generally the studs strange gives for their axles are longer then stock. Are you using "open end" lug nuts? That's where I would start first

One thing that came to mind...are the wheel studs on the axles screw in or press in?

Being that they are 1/2" aftermarket studs on aftermarket axles I would guess they are screw in...but if they are press in there is a chance they are not seated all the way and each time you tighten the nut they are slowly seating themselves...just a guess... smile

The lug bolts screw through the axles from the inside, The heads clear the C-clip eliminator bearings by about 1/8" The heads on the Looong black Strange wheel bolts are thinner, but I have clearance. I already had the closed acorn Gorilla lug nuts & wanted to use them

I found the problem!

Took wheels off again & noticed what looked like a curved fine steel wire at the axle centering boss to the Master Power Brakes drum hole. The hole in the drum is a bit undersized or the Strange axle boss is a bit too big. I was slowly forcing the drum onto the axle.

I torqued the nuts at 70ftlbs & they seated fine. I will sure be hard to remove the drums, down the road.

Thanks Guys, BBP