What torque converter to use with set-up?

BigBlockMonte

Hey all, I got the motor back together, and in my parts that came with it was a Trans Specialties 10" Conveter. I looked around and found out the 10" converter could be anything from a 2200 stall to a 4000 stall. I'm not sure what it is, and having second thoughts of using it. Heres my new set-up, hoping you guys can recommend a perfect converter for me.

1979 4 bolt main 454 bored .60 over

Eagle H-Beam Rods

Srp/JE Pistons

Compression comes in at 10.23

(Rect Port) Aluminum Heads (320cc Intake Runners)/2.25 intake valves-1.88 exhaust. 11/32 valves

Scorpion Roller Rockers

Stewart Stage 2 Water Pump

Cloyes Timing Chain

Proform Dist/ Scott Racing Plug Wires

Camshaft is Comp Cams XE284H .574/.578 Lift 240/246@.50 on a .110 Lobe Seperation

Edelbrock Air Gap Intake(Rect Port)

Holley Avenger 870 Carb

Hooker Comp Full Length Headers///2" Tubes. 3" collector.

Exhaust will be either 2 1/2" all the way back with Flowmaster 40 series muffles, or 3" all the way back with same mufflers.

Car has a 3.31 gear with a 28" tall Tire

Car weighed 3600lbs with the small block in it. (cast iron heads)

Not sure what weight will be with the Big Block in. I'm hoping pretty close with the aluminum heads

Anything you need to know, just asked. Car will be driven 90% street with the wife and little one, and spirited driven when I'm by myself, will also see the local 1/8th and 1/4mile track about 2-3 times a summer.

Thanks you guys in advance.

Call the converter builders and they can give you exactly what the engine wants. I'm running a converter from COAN.

My uneducated guess would be a stall in the 3000-3200 range.

Again; let the experts decide what you need. Nothing is worse than having the wrong converter behavior.

The RPM suggested sounds like it's in the ballpark, but the right way to figure out what stall speed you need is to call a torque converter manufacture like ATI, Yank, Coan, an others and talk to seasoned tech who is also a hotrodder and not some young kid reading off a product sheet. They will ask you about yor setup and will give you a stall speed that is correct for your application. That's what I do with torque converters and camshafts. Each time I went to the pro's instead of getting in the ballpark things were right on the mark.

A converter isn't that hard to change- try the one you have! I have no idea what your performance goals are, but I have an oval port iron head 454 with a smaller cam but the same gear you have. I have a 2400 B&M Nitrous converter (no, I'm not running juice) that is really, really fun to drive and still nips the 11s. (I have the same converter in my very heavy 10-second 540 Camaro- can't break it no matter how hard I try!). Many guys here hate B&M- I've never had an issue. But try the converter you have first- I'd guess it is in the park you want to play in.